Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I wanted to know why my passenger side engine mount keeps breaking on my 06 Impala 3.9L. I took it in to get it replaced because I was feeling the car too shaky, when they showed me the old mount it was completely broken and it was (oily,greasy). When they replaced It was good for like a month then the car started to feel shaky again, I went to take a look at the mount a big piece of the had broken already. Any one has this Issue?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Hello I wanted to know why my passenger side engine mount keeps breaking on my 06 Impala 3.9L. I took it in to get it replaced because I was feeling the car too shaky, when they showed me the old mount it was completely broken and it was (oily,greasy). When they replaced It was good for like a month then the car started to feel shaky again, I went to take a look at the mount a big piece of the had broken already. Any one has this Issue?
Are you talking about the lower mount by the harmonic balancer? You mentioned the first one being oily. Oil and grease can accelerate the wear of the rubber in the mount. How is the new broken mount? Is it dry or wet?

If it's dry, I'd wager it was damaged to start with. I can't see it losing a chunk otherwise.

If it's wet, maybe you need a new front seal on the engine to keep oil off the mount.

Doug

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Was it an Anchor brand mount? Was it a hydraulic mount? Are you talking about a "dogbone" mount (roll restricter) atop the engine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I wasn't that specific on which mount I'm referring to, but yeah I'm talking about the hydraulic mount the one that goes under the engine. It looks all chewed up and yes I have a oil leak and a broken CV axle that im going to replace soon, might that be the cause the mount keeps tearing quicker because of that grease and oil ?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Sorry I wasn't that specific on which mount I'm referring to, but yeah I'm talking about the hydraulic mount the one that goes under the engine. It looks all chewed up and yes I have a oil leak and a broken CV axle that im going to replace soon, might that be the cause the mount keeps tearing quicker because of that grease and oil ?
Regarding the first failure, I suspect the oil was a factor. Hydrocarbons are solvents and can soften rubber. The second one, with a chunk out of it, I think was either defective, or got damaged during installation somehow.

How are the other mounts? I think there's another mount on the transmission, and the two dog bones up top in front. If other mounts are bad, the remaining ones get a lot more flexing.

Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first mount I pulled out I think was the oem because it just showed the wear and tear, the second one was aftermarket I'm guessing it was just cheap rubber. The transmission mount seems to be in good condition since it's on the driver side i took a look at it and there is no oil it's dry in there, the dog bones on top look like they barely starting to wear out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts