Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before getting into extensive mods i just wanted to know what i can expect for longevity. its a used car with about 105k miles on it. i beat on it fomr time to time (im a kid what do you expct) but i take god care of it. thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
What car, what engine?

The more mods you put on AND the more you demand from the engine the shorter the life you may get. Adding mods does not in itself shorten the life of the motor. But driving the engine harder to see what it can do will reduce its life. Running the engine up to and/or past RED LINE will make short work of killing any engine.

Most will depend on how it has been driven, how you drive, and your maintenance schedule. I am seeing 4 bangers, v-6, and v-8's going past 200k and 300k with the motor untouched. I have also seen many "kids" trash a motor in less than 3k miles (on low mileage engines) since their parents bought it for them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a 3.8 v6 and i paid for most of it myself lol so i wont be trashing it. i dont race and i run it hard every so often. i was just wondering cause like i said before i want to know how deep into mods i should go and such. im still new tocarsbut i love them and im doing my best to learn

·
Registered
78 Posts
dude my car had about 104k on it when i got it i am still a teenager i romp on that thing quite abit

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol yeah but i just wanna know cause ill just keep this as my dd and get a sports car if its gonna start runin like sh*t on me

·
Registered
78 Posts
well theres now like 106k on it lol which is quite a bit considering i just got it in february it has been running fine

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
If you have a tach then keep the engine at and below 5.5k rpms. This should be well below red line. If you do not have a tach consider putting one in. My observation is that keeping the engine under 5k rpm lets you get the most out of it without trashing the engine. Also find what the HP and Torque rpms are for your engine. For maximum efficiency on a fast take off you can try limiting the engine to the max torque rpm. As a general rule the max torque is between 2 and 3 k rpms.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have no tach lol but im just gonna chill out with this car and buy another one as a project car so i can make this last as a dd

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
if you dont beat on it (too much) and keep up the maintaintence, you should be fine DEEP into the 100k'stheres a few out there w/ 200k and still going that i know of (on other forums)

I put almost 80k on mine and guarntee they were harder miles then either of you ;),

a few things, the cars are known for UIM and lim gasket failures. the only thing i managed to kill were the clutches in the trans.

Dont do burn out ( will kill the CVs/axles/trans )

Also, the hub bearings/ Wheel speed sensors have a know issue..

other than that the car should treat you as well as you treat it ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its a 3.8 v6 and i paid for most of it myself lol so i wont be trashing it.
3.8 are similiar to a V-8 engine with two cylinders missing.

We have had many 3.8 Liter V-6 FWD GM vehicles in our family since the late 80ties.
It all depends on how you take care of them.

150,000 miles
200,000 miles
250,000 miles
300,000 miles.
Are very common mileage we got out of these engines.

96 Buick Park Ave with a 3.8 liter V-6 that my father bought used in 98 with 40,000 miles.
He currently has 335,000 miles and is not retiring it yet.

Wutz

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well these v6's, meaning the 3.4 and 3.8 are broadly used engines among sedans. So they are obviously very reliable IMO

My Impala 3.4l has 130,9xx, and it runs like its new. I'm hoping on doing the LIM pretty soon here, but nothin besides brakes, tires, and oil change on the dot every time had led me to this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts