Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am new here and have a question please. I am considering buying a 63 Impala with what I believe is a later model motor in it. It has the following engine stamp on it 'T053ID'.

I think it is a 66 motor but can not find out much on it. HP or what it came in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
In that Code you will get the Month and Day only. The last Letter(s) is the Suffix Code, which will tell you what you have.

But, sometimes it's confusing. The "I" can sometimes mean a "1".

Now, do you have a May 3rd ID or a May 31st D ??

In this case we would need more info. A picture of the whole engine, the Casting Number and/or the Date Code will help. On the Block the Date Code is on the back of the engine and can be hard to see if it's still in the car. If the Intake is original, the Date Code is also there. It is also on the Heads, but under the Valve Cover.

Quick for now though, it is a 2-Barrel Carb or a 4 ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I checked my Chevy passenger (64to75) and Corvette (53to77) parts books and my Chiltons. No small blocks began with an I. The 396 and 427s began with an I. The only engine showing an "ID"suffix is the full size Chevys from 1966 through 1968 with the special hi perf 427 (425 HP). In 1970 Chevy went to 3 digit suffix. If it is not a big block, then it would be a pre 1964 passenger (not Corvette) block.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not familiar with NastyZ28.com. The 1966 327 special hi perf engine codes for pass. cars were ZI, ZJ, ZG, and ZH. The Corvette 327 special hi perf engine codes for 1966 were HD, HT, and KH. I missed some engine codes because of the thickness of the passenger car binder which includes illustrations (almost 7" thick). The 1969 full size cars with 350 engine for taxi and police DO have 2 digit I code suffixes, but not ID.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
moms66ss,

There are actually quite a few Small Blocks that start with "I". In RRT's case there is a '66 327 that he could still possibly have that is an "ID".

I checked at 3 or 4 different sites last night. Here is one of them:

Decoding small block Chevy engine suffix codes and stamped numbers HR - TBS

Bill
I found this post by Troy while doing a search.

"Engine Code
Hey Friends...

I was wondering if anyone my be able to find what this engine code is....?

T106IID

Thanks

Troy"

Stranger than mine. Even if he read too many I's it still does not make sense. I a pretty sure that there is not 61 days in October. I am going back to look at the car in question next week and I will follow up with the codes. My bet is a 1960 283 d code.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Not familiar with NastyZ28.com. The 1966 327 special hi perf engine codes for pass. cars were ZI, ZJ, ZG, and ZH. The Corvette 327 special hi perf engine codes for 1966 were HD, HT, and KH. I missed some engine codes because of the thickness of the passenger car binder which includes illustrations (almost 7" thick). The 1969 full size cars with 350 engine for taxi and police DO have 2 digit I code suffixes, but not ID.
Well, I broke out my "Chevrolet by the Numbers" book, and then my Chevrolet Parts Manual, and you are correct.

I use the 3 or 4 different sites online for quick reference and they usually always seem to be correct, but they are wrong on this one.

No Small Blocks with an "I" except some 350's in '69, as you have stated.

What this is also telling us, that it seems like RRT has a 283 (with the D), but we will wait for more info from him to verify it.

Bill

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm curious if the cyl. head markings are a plain rectangle (pre 63 283 head)or a rectangle with a triangle hat (63 and up 283 head).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is a 1962 283. The "I" appears to be a 1 in this case. The heads are also 283.

Thanks for the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts