Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when im driving down the road it stays at what it should be but recently when i stop at a traffic light or just stop for a few mins it slowly gets warmer, almost to the red, what could this problem be?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i filled up the coolent the other week and now today just before i got home it started to get hot again, like going past half way, and i checked and my coolent was low, so i filled it up and am waiting to see if it goes down again

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Have you checked under the car to see if you can find any coolant stains on the ground? Since you have now filled it twice there is a leak somewhere. May be around the radiator, I have seen many of them with a slow seepage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
when im driving down the road it stays at what it should be but recently when i stop at a traffic light or just stop for a few mins it slowly gets warmer, almost to the red, what could this problem be?
I know someone with a 2000 impala with the same problem, it was a coolant leak

·
Registered
375 Posts
Might have air in the cooling system (bleed off the air using the schrader valve).

Or your thermostat might be stuck closed/mostly closed. A new thermostat is only like ten bucks.

Other than that... have you added any coolant to the system? it may be time for a coolant flush and refill, especially if you've added something that is non-compatible with Dex-Cool or have an air leak in the system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts