Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to stop threadjacking someone else so I decided to start a new one to pose this question.

Has anyone tried switching engine covers with other LS covers??

Now I know that some would require more work than others with the removal of old badging and replacement with new ones that would coincide with our cars but....the question still remains...Just curious to see if anyone else is as crazy as me.. haha

For Example..

From this:

To this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

Or this:

·
Registered
265 Posts
As in, taking a Corvette/Cadillac/GTO cover and putting it in your Impala? I hope that's not what you mean. :eek:k3:

If you take of the badges I guess it might be okay, but I don't see how it's going to work with the way Impala engines are set up versus others.

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
I hate to break your balls, but I don't think it would work since the covers are custom fit to each engine, and all the engines are designed differently.

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the LS4 is the oddball of the LS engines because it had to be specially designed to fit in the FWD Impala, so I'd assume it wouldn't work. I would go to say you could make your own, though. lol

·
SadiStic Impala
2,457 Posts
Ha. My engine looks like a little school girl compared to the cts-v . :(

·
Premium Member
22,815 Posts
^Yeah, but you could dremel any differences like that. I'd say no, but I am not an expert.

·
SadiStic Impala
2,457 Posts
Yeah, I don't think the caddys even would.

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
yeah i was thinkin that too but then youd have to do something with the hole for where the old intake was

·
SadiStic Impala
2,457 Posts
Yeah, and look at where the power steering filler cap.is on.the first one. I just don't think it would work. I think the only one that might even come close to our LS4 one is the gto one.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I knew none of them were direct bolt ons, and I knew they would require some modification, I was just wondering if anyone else thought that the current one was as anemic as I thought it was and attempted to look for something else. And as I stated, I am a little on the crazy side haha. I think the camaro one (second offering) Would be the best one to work with as it has no provisions for anything and covers everything...

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HaHaHa....I'm guessing by the flaming I got for this, posing my RWD conversion question would be met with equal amounts of wtf lol.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I read somewhere that the LS4 is the oddball of the LS engines because it had to be specially designed to fit in the FWD Impala, so I'd assume it wouldn't work. I would go to say you could make your own, though. lol
It wasn't designed specifically for the Impala, but it was designed specifically for FWD cars, as it is the runt of the litter.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ha. My engine looks like a little school girl compared to the cts-v . :(
Let's face it....these cars ARE little school girls compared to the rest of the GM stable!
:lol:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I think the main reason they wont work is because the LS4 is transmounted... its also the "runt of the litter" because they had to shorten it to fit sideways.

Not to mention, why would you want to?

Ive seen a lot of guys custom paint their cover and have it come out looking pretty sick.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ive seen a lot of guys custom paint their cover and have it come out looking pretty sick.
Very true....a little paint can go a long way...I guess I just have not seen enough, and was a bit quick to judge..

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:lamende:
Aww don't be like that....Let's be honest here. At least amongst ourselves we can be. Don't get me wrong, I'm as diehard GM as anyone, just look at my sig below.....but the fact still remains....they are the rental fleet queens for a reason...look at any other full size sedan GM has to offer, you can't deny the facts...

·
Registered
913 Posts
Aww don't be like that....Let's be honest here. At least amongst ourselves we can be. Don't get me wrong, I'm as diehard GM as anyone, just look at my sig below.....but the fact still remains....they are the rental fleet queens for a reason...look at any other full size sedan GM has to offer, you can't deny the facts...
Whatever you say.:eek:k3:

·
Registered
823 Posts
The engine covers can be swapped, just not in one piece. There are a couple how-tos floating around showing how to cut them and make a 3 piece cover. Looks alright I guess. Im not a fan of any of them. They are ugly and make working on them twice as difficult as need be.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts