Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the 07 imp LS block heater have a thermostat that is set to -18c ? every morning i feel car struggle to start as if there is no block heater working over night even though plugged in ? Is it true that GM has a thermostat setting in place to prevent its working till it goes below certain temperature ?:cool:

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Yes they do have a thermostat built into the plug.
Check the plug and you will see a round disc type button looking thingy.
I believe -17C (0 F) is printed on it.
At least on mine it is.
Daughters Jeep has the same thing as well as a buddies new Silverado.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
I looked into it on the trucks and found they were thermostatically controlled and yes it has to be good and cold for them to work. It is a "save the environment" thing stopping you from wasting electricity

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked into it on the trucks and found they were thermostatically controlled and yes it has to be good and cold for them to work. It is a "save the environment" thing stopping you from wasting electricity

:giggle: ... for a car that drinks gas as if there was no tomorrow GM thought of making it environment friendly at the expense of annoyance for some users.

btw. i checked the plug there is a big black raised circle thing of a ziggy but no temperature listed anywhere on it.:gaah:

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Probably got worn/washed off or something.

They are all at 0 F ( -17C )

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
How about an aftermarket heater, bet one is made that will screw right in trick would be making sure it too doesn't have the thermostat.

What about cutting the cord and putting a non-thermostat end on? Might be a little challenging to seal it up as well as the original molded end. Would definitely take some care to do well but should be possible.

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
I think you can just buy the replacement cord from auto supply places that will plug onto the block heater, I think,,,,,,,,,,, maybe,,,,,,,,,,, Replacement cords don't have the thermostat.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had a shop install a couple of glue-on block heaters on my 2004 Impala.
In cold weather it would sometimes take 10 or more minutes of running before the trannie would get warm enough to kick into lockup.

I can't find the receipts, but I think one heated the trans and the other either the oil or radiator.
Ran the wires through the firewall, into two of those remote gadgets that sell for about 15 bucks, and plugged them into a surge strip.

Plugged the surge strip into house extension, and when I remembered I'd switch the two off every 30 minutes or so. That resulted in a car that at least was not a block of ice when I got into it in the morning.

The most trusted engine oil heaters, fuel heaters and battery heaters for cars

Types of Engine Block Heaters - ManageMyLife.com

Engine Heaters - Radiator Hose vs. Block - Bob Is The Oil Guy

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I knew I had read something about having to use a GM replacement cord and was able to find this link. It gives a decent run down on the factory block heaters.

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/repair-topics/engine/block-heater-on-gm-vehicles
cause of this " If it see a discrepancy between the two numbers, and the outside air temp coming in through the intake is 0° or above, it assumes there’s something wrong with the coolant temp sensor and sets a trouble code."

i do not think non thermostat plug will work too well... but i wonder how it works in summer the plug is inside.. and when am assuming coolant temp. is not sensing outside temp. surely coolant temp. is going to be different than the one from plug.

right now i am just relying on the temp. based auto start feature of the remote i got installed, i do not bother to plugin now.. its set to -5c and since the sensors is kinda under the dash and not outside, so there must be like 10C difference between inside and outside.. today car started twice during the day after an interval of like 6 hrs. so must be working proper.. now i am trying to figure out .. if battery gets charged when the engine is idling or that only happens when the wheels are turning :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Battery charges just fine at idle.

Far as the explanation of "why the thermostat is there" I will buy that you get those problem if you defeat the thermostat but that is not why the thermostat is there. The computer confusion could be easily remedied with software updates. I don't buy his explanation of two temp senders one for the coolant one for the metal. 2 temp senders is fairly normal but they both read coolant one reports to the pcm one to the dash on some vehicles where others have just one sender that is for both the dash and pcm.

I am not fully up on all the latest vehicles underhood but I have a better than average understanding of the systems.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Battery charges just fine at idle.

Far as the explanation of "why the thermostat is there" I will buy that you get those problem if you defeat the thermostat but that is not why the thermostat is there. The computer confusion could be easily remedied with software updates. I don't buy his explanation of two temp senders one for the coolant one for the metal. 2 temp senders is fairly normal but they both read coolant one reports to the pcm one to the dash on some vehicles where others have just one sender that is for both the dash and pcm.

I am not fully up on all the latest vehicles underhood but I have a better than average understanding of the systems.
Hey Dwayne, If you get a chance can you revisit the link and scroll down farther? There are comments after you get past all the advertising junk. Do you agree with the first comment by 'Dave'?

I have a 2001 Monte and 2007 Impala both with the factory heater but have never plugged either one in nor fully researched what actually makes them tick. From what I'm gathering the older car may have the better setup?

I should probably test each car when the temp gets low enough just to make sure the heaters work.

Thanks for your input!

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
That doesn't disagree atall with what I said, heck it supports that it is a computer code issue.

Heck the fact GM paid more for the extension cord rather than undo the code thing which is a free fix in the pcm, supports that it was some other idea at work. IMO the not wanting you to "waste electricity" is the most reasonable guess. They probably spent $1M on studies to find out it used less energy to warm the engine up from 5f than it does to let the block heater run for 8 hours.

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
I wonder if Chrys subscribes to the same thinking. Daughters Patriot has the same plug on it.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I should probably test each car when the temp gets low enough just to make sure the heaters work.

Thanks for your input!
I think engine stays warm enough for few hours after shut down so try it after keeping it below -20C for straight 48 hrs and see if it starts on the 49th hr.

I had an old neon and it would start as well even after 2 days of cold weather without plug.. but than again it was a standard you can always start those i believe.

Just do not want to take a chance of not being able to fire up the car in the morning when trying to head to work or from work heading back home... but i do plan to keep the timed start off at night and rely on plugin when i start parking in my garage instead of on the street.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
I only ever had trouble with one car in cold weather and it turned out to be a ground issue.
My 95 Roady with over 220K on it started just fine one morning when the mirror display said I think -18f at home and -23f on the drive to work had been parked probably 12 hours outside which is long enough to be stone cold due to wind and such.

If a Neon had trouble starting I would just attribute that to being chrysler. Most other gas vehicles I would expect to be just fine at -20F without a heater.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts