Impala Forums banner

Enable true TapUp/TapDown on the 2012+ 8th gens with HPTuners

7K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  F16vipers 
#1 ·
I have not yet confirmed this, but apparently, you can change the ERS (Electronic Range Select) TUTD (TapUp/TapDown) buttons on the LFX engines to work as true paddle shifters with a few setting changes in HPTuners. Someone on the Camaro fourms figured this out on the Camaro LS (which functioned like the Impala from the factory). I fully expect that this would work on the Impala too (but haven't tried it myself). So this way, you can start off in a certain gear - and apparently, you need to do this to dyno them properly as well. Turns them buttons into true paddle shifters!

Here is a link:

Strange shift behavior in "manual mode"

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
According to my display I have PRNDL...when I enable TUTD it won't allow the car to go into 'L' which is the range when the paddles are active. I've tried it with the tap to enable both on and off...I'm thinking our cars might actually be missing the actual programming for true TUTD.

#6 ·
No - nobody has confirmed that this works. The only person that has tried it has been @F16vipers - and without success.

We ere just assuming that it would work since the Impala uses the same engine and transmission controllers (E39/T43), so the "brains" should be there to do it. Also, since the Camaro LS comes the same way as the Impala (using the ERS mode instead of true tap-shift) and it worked for it, we were assuming that it would work for the Impala too.

Obviously, the Camaro is RWD and the Impala is FWD, but I didn't think that would matter since the computer still has the ability to control the gear selection, regardless of whether it's a FWD or RWD transmission. So in theory it appears that everything is there to allow it to work.

But, as we know, theory and reality don't always match up! :)

I'll also try to test this on mine, just to see if I can get any different results than @F16vipers, but it sounds like this may be a no-go on the Impala for some reason...

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Yes - you are correct - there are gear-up and gear-down buttons on left hand side just like the volume buttons on the right hand side.

Not sure how it's setup on the 9th gens - don't know where their 'paddles' are.

Honestly, you're not missing much. I *never* use the damn things anyway...

#12 ·
Both the Camaro and Impala are very similar electronically. Even though they both use the T43 controller...they could be running different software/firmware. I know in the older GM cars the ECM box was pretty much universal...but there was a chip inside that looked like a RAM stick that was the actually 'program' for each model or models of car. I wonder what the variations on the T43 programming is between models? Has anyone ever taken one of these modules apart to see what's inside? This can probably only be answered by a GM tech...I would volunteer...but I don't feel motivated to disassemble my tranny enough to get the TCM out!

#13 ·
Very good point. I just check and while the 2012 Camaro and the 2012 Impala both have the exact same ECM "OS ID", the TCM "OS ID" is different - so maybe the TCM OS in the Impala just lacks the capabilities....

#14 ·
I wonder if a dealer could do an 'update'? If it's strictly software they should be able to...not sure if true TUTD requires any different hardware on the transmission's part? JT, do you ever deal with the dealership and have someone you could call and ask? I have never been to/ dealt with them other than when I bought the car. This might be worth looking into if a simple software update would do the trick.

#15 ·
No, I definitely don't have any "friends" at the dealership! :) The problem is that while it may be just a code update, unless the code update has been "released" specifically for the Impala, they won't update anything...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.