Impala Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Chevy Impala LT 3.9L

Bought the car over a year ago used.
Faceplate for my stereo stopped working.
Wanted to replace stereo, however when I pulled everything out I saw what a crappy job the person before did to install his aftermarket stereo, it is a complete horror show. :( I just want to know how to fix it. I will be posting a lot of pictures, they should explain everything.

Thank you. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have already cut the wires that the guy had connected to the middle of the wires already connected. That's why you see small part of a wire sticking out of some.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well I hate to say it but that is what some people do to install Aftermarket Radios when the person don't buy a Aftermarket Radio wiring harness... There is some issues doing this and can make it so the Data from the BCM can't talk to the Radio. Lets hope they didn't damage that wire..

Ok so here is what I would do if it was my car....

First pull the Radio Fuse from the Fuse box. At the same time find where they ran the wires for your ACC to the aftermarket as it is not with harness will have to come from a different area.... If they ran to the fuse box remove it as your OEM don't need it...

Most likely and sadly they tied into your Ignition Harness wires. IF it was like the rest of the mess you have your work cut out for you...

Now for the wires that are cut you need to No less then get some Butt connectors and some good and I mean some good Wire Crimpers Kline you can get at Home Depot is the best you will be able to do without being able to buy off the Tool Truck...

If it was mine and I was going to make the repair. I would cut out the Soldering they left behind and keep enough area on the harness side to be able to crimp back to the wires to the car... When you use the Butt Connectors there is a Right way and a wrong way to crimp them... Looking into one end there is a slit that goes from one side to the other. That is the side you want the smooth part of the crip tool to be and the stub side of the took on the closed side for a GOOD CRIMP...

There are some Bell Caps that people use. I personally wouldn't in this case to keep your install clean..

The wiring for your antenna you just need to remove the adapt to fit the OEM radio. The Adapt is there because GM has a different type of Antenna connection....

Remove the RED RCA's from the dash. and wire tie up under the passenger side of the dash incase you want to add a Sub woofer later you have it there just need to untie and run to the radio again... OEM radio has no where to put it so would need a LOC....

James

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry looking over the pictures it looks like they removed most of the Soldering already.... Sorry at first only 0037 and 0038 was viewable to me now I see the others....

Where the wires are bare they need to be crimped back together but if you want to try you can tape them as they are right now making sure only to tape the wire that goes to that wire... LIke Pink to Pink if there is another wire it don't belong...

Should be only 1 wire from the car to the Harness color for color hope that helps make it clear what I was saying... Looks like it wouldn't have worked long all the wires being out and not even taped... If your fuse for the radio is still good I would be shocked lol....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-9-3-4-in-Crimping-Tool-1005SEN/100352095 Crimpers
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...-SearchPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-202522630-_-N Butt Connectors

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay thank you for the response, I have a few questions just to clarify what you mean.
What is the ACC.
What is a LOC.
Also I forgot to mention I will be using another aftermarket stereo, as I don't have the original

He originally had it taped with masking tape but I removed it all

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well then it will depend on what your going to do... ACC is your cars Accessory wire. The wiring from the Impala's use a Data Accessory wire and unless you use a Aftermarket harness you will need to bring on from the Fuse box or the Ign harness...

If you are going to buy a Aftermarket radio you don't need to worry about a LOC if you buy one with RCA output already built into the Radio... LOC is a Line out Converter. Changes High level output to RCA so you can use RCA cables to a amp....

Masking tape isn't good for Car wiring. Some good UL approved Wiring Tape or even a good Cloth Wiring tape is best for tape. However I would even doing a new Aftermarket Radio fix your OEM harness wiring mess and get a Aftermarket Wiring Adapter Harness one to keep your chimes and Onstar if your car has such...

James

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also have one more question if you know the answer, I only have one plug (the blue one pictured) that goes into my A.C module. And there are 4 connections available. Do you know if it is only supposed to be one? I've tried searching for wiring diagrams or whatever and can't find the answer.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I am not 100% sure really. I know that there is 4 plug areas in most of these however there is only in the cases I have seen 2 or 3 sets of wires in them... Depending on what options where in the car... It could be that the only one for your car was Blue. J2... If I remember right J3 is for Optional Heated Seats and dual zone controls? I am not 100% on the dual zone I am sure that if your car has Heated Seats it would come from J3. I am not sure as it has been to long to remember what J1 Brown and J4 Green. Also I am not 100% sure but I don't think they have pins in most cases. Sorry I couldn't be much help there... I will try and find some Drawing for the HVAC on the 06. I am sure I have something somewhere.

Sorry I couldn't be much more help at this time
James

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ok After looking up some info on some of my notes that may or may not be readable to others lol....

S67 is for Single Zone and the other controller is the one that you have that has dual controls. The J3 is for Heated Seats and is Option For Non Heated Seats and that is for Aux control as well. So without a control in say the rear seat or if your Car didn't come with Remote Start then J3 wouldn't be connected...

So in Short your system without Remote Start or heated seats wouldn't have anything connected in CJ3 and only 1 set of wires in J2

James

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.