Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Impala 3.4

I have had electrical issues with this car for several years . Originally had no start/security light problems. Then weird lock and radio problems. Replaced bcm and had it programmed. Replaced ignition switch and passlock sensor. Was fine for a year.

Now, I'm getting weird problems again. Now it gives me security/service engine soon/alternator indication and chime sounds. Air conditioner compressor cycles on and off. Lights take longer to automatically switch off and locks are sluggish. Once it was doing it and coolant fan was inop making car overheat in traffic. Car doesn't have no start issue.

Every once in a while it doesn't do any of those things. Once it was doing it and I stopped and unplugged the three plugs from bcm and plugged back in and it was fine for an hour but started doing it again.

I took contact cleaner and sprayed the crap out of the bcm plugs but it didn't make a difference.

I am now at wits end with this car.

Does anyone have a diagram of the plug wiring? Is there a way to tighten the female part inside the plugs? :bang:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the effort , but I've tried to get that to load and I keep getting a 504 error .
Tried several methods to deal with that , to no avail .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried that as well . Is there another way of getting it to me like email ? I'd certainly appreciate it .

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
Link works fine , must be your PC :dunno:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know wtf it was, but it works today. It wasn't working on my phone either.
It magically works today :/
Doesn't matter, since I found it elsewhere thanks to a member's suggestion.
Now if I can figure out what the problem is.

Anyone have any idea where the A6/A7/B7>S236>G201 ground attaches to specifically on the chassis?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AHA !

I think I may have found where this issue is coming from .
Through removal of each component mounted on the dash one by one and spraying contact cleaner in plugs and applying dielectric grease , I did the bcm first , then the headlight switch , and the instrument cluster . None of those made any difference .

Then , I pulled the radio .. and THERE WAS THE GROUND I WAS LOOKING FOR behind the radio . No , I'm not 100% sure it wasn't the radio and not the ground , but cleaned and greased the radio plug and removed and cleaned the ground behind it .

Hasn't done it since , but time will tell .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Based on that , it must have been the radio causing the issue .
Looking at the diagram , is #4 the radio plug ?
If it is , then #3 is the ground I found and cleaned (not that it had corrosion) . What does that 3 wire ground supply ?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
4 is def the radio plug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:bang:
Spoke too soon. It's back.
Today I awoke to my radio playing. It had turned itself on and the battery light was blinking. Drove the car and all the previous symptoms were there but no chime.

One thing I wonder, normally the radio shuts off when the door is open . It shut off normally when I opened the door yesterday . Where is the door switch located ? Didn't see an obvious location . Latch ?

My next approach is to check the grounds at the bcm plugs, maybe trying to tighten up the female slides, and running a ground from the frame in the engine compartment (G100?) thru the firewall and soldering it to one or all of the grounds going into the bcm. I don't know where else to go from here with this car.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Why are yoy running around searching for grounds? Bad power wiring can be as much to blame.

I just read the entire topic, as I had sort of been following it here and there. My suggestion is to look at the circuit that supplies power to all of these devices. I have 2 suggestions...

1) look around at the RAP in the drivers side fuse panel for corrosion.. and verify, THROUGH TESTING, that it works.

2) remove the radio altogether and see what symptoms you see.

I only suggest #2 because in this generation impala there is no ACC red wire as you would expect and as most vehicles have. The radio itself handles it internally. So if the radio has turned itself on its either internal to the radio (and your removal could have temporarily jarred the issue before) or its receiving power from your tumbler.

Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the worst(73 vega was worse)car I have ever owned. Security no start problem was taken care of by installing Newrockies bypass module. Fuel pump, stereo power wire broke no radio till I got around to fixing it. Fuel pump, multiple expensive starters. Water pouring in to car thru cabin air filter corroding electric fan motor and resistor. There is more I just can't stand to relive it anymore lol!, oh yea Intake manifold problem. In short, A POS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts