Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently (6 months ago) bought a 97 Impala SS. The car was/is in excellent condition, but I have had two persistent problems I was hoping to get some insight for.

First, about a month after I bought it, I was told the radiator had a leak, so I paid to have a new radiator installed. Since then, the distinct odor of antifreeze comes through the AC system. Anyone have any suggestions on what's wrong here?

Secondly, about three days ago the interior and exterior lights began a slight flickering. The headlights, the dash lights, the running lights, the clock, radio, etc., all flicker - not in a rhythm with pressing the accelerator (which I have seen in other cars) but just a non-stop randomized sort of flicker. The lights don't go all the way out, just dim and go back to normal very very quickly, repeatedly. Anyone know what this might be?

All knowledgeable input is appreciated! I just don't want to spend tons of cash getting the problems diagnosed!

Thanks much, all!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sounds like your heater core is leaking for the first problem.Replace it. for the second problem I would replace the positive and negative cabals on the battery.If the problem still persists check the engine ground cable.Its usually bolted where the engine and trany meat at one end, the other end is mounted to the frame just below the radiator.It is about a foot long and 3/8 the thick.Or just look for a cable coming off the engine and leading to the frame.Check all three leads on the alternate.If this dos not fix your problem go to Pep Boy's Automotive.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of the answers above are valid, but you don't have a 1997 Chevrolet Impala SS.

Chevrolet stopped making the Impala SS in 1996 and didn't start making it again until 2004 (they started making the Impala again in 2000, but didn't add an SS to the line-up until 2004).

If your Impala has a floor shifter, it is a 1996, if it has a column shifter it is a 94 or 95.

Update: Thank you very much for your feedback to my question. I appreciate the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts