Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new here, but not new to the Caprice Classic..my grandparents have had them for the last 30-odd years.

They left me with their '94 L99 Caprice, and after racking up 60K on the clock since they bought it new, I've had the alternator rebuilt about the end of 2006, which may or may not have anything to with my current problem:
After running for awhile, the volt gauge will drop way down, to around the 8 volt mark, and the car will sometimes die, and not start for a few minutes.
It usually has done it when it's really cold out, and I'm using the heater on high, lights on, etc.

Now, about a year ago, the electrical cable stud that is on the relay? box on the pass. side engine compartment got loose, so I attempted to tighten it, but ended up just stripping the threads. (it wouldn't tighten up)
I replaced it with one from a salvage yard, and it tightened down w/o stripping, but now it does the voltage drop/lights dim/engine die thing.

Sometimes I can tap the window buttons in the up position for a second or so, and it'll make the gauge go back up for awhile, others times it won't.

Also, yesterday, it did, and that stud was so hot it melted the plastic guard down onto it.
Is it a possibility that the alternator is overcharging, or might ther ebe something pulling too many amps or volts?

Thanks for any ideas :smile:

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Check all of your ground and positive cable connection points. A dirty and or lose cable connection will cause this. Also take the alternator off and have it tested by the rebuilding place or a local auto parts store. A battery going bad can also cause the problem. I have had these items cause the same problem you are describing.

One problem with modern cars is that the alternators are usually just big enough to handle the electrical demand placed on them, but will burn out in as few 5 years or even less. If you can go with a heavier alternator (one that puts out more amps) then the unit usually will last alot longer then the original unit can.

·
Registered
303 Posts
There was a recall on the electrical studs. The studs would get hot enough to melt the plastic cover and wires. There was a possibility of fire.

IIRC, the good one is a brass color and the bad is a dark grey. Also, IIRC the recall was originally for 9C1 (police) cars but SS's had the same problem and eventually GM accepted them into the recall too. I am not sure if an L99 car would qualify to get it free, but you could try.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is the dark gray version...I might give the nearest GM dealership a call in the next coupla days and ask about it.

I also forgot to add in my first post that the battery is just a bit over a year old.

Thanks for the tips! :smile:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts