Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 63 impala which came with the original engine not sure if it's a 327 or 283 but it was tired and so i decided to do a swap i bought a 91 caprice from my work for 200 bucks it has a 305 v8 fuel injected i didn't want to deal with the wiring mess so a buddy sugested i convert it to carb so i swaped out the manifold and i got a quad jet carb and i installed the engine but now im lost can you help i need to know what to do next i would like to get this thing running please help

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm thinkin of doin the same, I would like to see this in pictures.

I havn't done it yet, just reading up on the how part.
I know that the TBI fuel pump in tank puts out abou12-14 PSI, I would say to put a Holley FPR on it with the bypass.
My biggest worry is the 700r4 Electronic lock up. Other than that is should still crank up n drive through the 4 gears.

KEEP US POSTED:smile:

·
Registered
14 Posts
i did this conversion on my 1985 impala a few years back. the only difference was i had a computer controlled quadrajet which was a real piece of shit.
it is actualy quite easy to convert over. you will have to replace your distributor to a HEI unit with vaccum and mechanical advance. also you will need to replace your factory intake and exhaust manifolds. unless you just want to cap off your smog tubes. also your smog pump is now obsolete so it will need to be removed and a new belt will have to be purchased. depending on your aftermarket intake you may also need to replace your factory valve covers. they sometimes will hang on the manifold and leak. if you have an in tank fuel pump, check and make sure it will push enough volume to supply a carburetor. you may also need to eliminate the fuel return system if your car is so equipped with one. i highly recomend a square bore style holley 4150 (double pumper) or a 4160 ( single inlet) carburetor. they are much easier to tune.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My biggest worry is the 700r4 Electronic lock up. Other than that is should still crank up n drive through the 4 gears.
I havn't done it yet, just reading up on the how part.
I know that the TBI fuel pump in tank puts out abou12-14 PSI, I would say to put a Holley FPR on it with the bypass.

KEEP US POSTED:smile:
painless wiring sells a lockup solenoid kit for this type of conversion. but you don't need the lockup feature and it wont hurt your car to run without it. the only thing you will notice is a slight drop in fuel economy on the highway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts