Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have an '09 LS and I wanna replace the muffler on it. There's nothing wrong with the one on it now, but I'm looking for a much better sound. I guess the one thing I really enjoy about cars is the awesome sounds the high performance ones make. I'm fine with anything from muscle car growl to Ferrari kind of rumble! And apparently an aftermarket muffler can do wonders!
I want to replace it but I don't know the specs like the diameter of the inlet I need, offset or center, that kind of stuff. I've never replaced a muffler before so kind of clueless but I'd like to learn. I've done a ton of DIY stuff before that worked fine, put a nav system in, speakers, sub, gonna do remote start soon. Just that if there's cutting and welding involved I'm not equipped for that. I read that a catback installation is much easier, but I'm not willing to fork out 800$ for this. My friend recommended a resonator, and I don't know how that would come in!
Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Hey, I have an '09 LS and I wanna replace the muffler on it. There's nothing wrong with the one on it now, but I'm looking for a much better sound. I guess the one thing I really enjoy about cars is the awesome sounds the high performance ones make. I'm fine with anything from muscle car growl to Ferrari kind of rumble! And apparently an aftermarket muffler can do wonders!
I want to replace it but I don't know the specs like the diameter of the inlet I need, offset or center, that kind of stuff. I've never replaced a muffler before so kind of clueless but I'd like to learn. I've done a ton of DIY stuff before that worked fine, put a nav system in, speakers, sub, gonna do remote start soon. Just that if there's cutting and welding involved I'm not equipped for that. I read that a catback installation is much easier, but I'm not willing to fork out 800$ for this. My friend recommended a resonator, and I don't know how that would come in!
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Welcome! Your car has a stock resonator. You can have a custom cat back done at a muffler shop with a resonator delete, y pipe and dual magnaflow or flowmaster for under $350, I'm asuming a ls with a 3.5?

ls with flowmasters:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sound definitely does the trick! But honestly I can get it done for me for under 350? I'm surprised because I looked all over the internet and couldn't find just the kit for under 800, nevermind installation!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Yes my 3400 impala is running a resonator delete, y pipe, dual magnaflows and 4 in tips all for under $350. Its not using any system, its all custom bent pipe with universal mufflers. I later had a higher flowing cat installed for $57. There is no need to buy an exhaust system unless you want to install yourself.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Take it to an exhaust shop, a muffler swap will cost no where near $350
I was not saying $350 for a muffler swap, I was saying it for a full custom cat back with resonator delete, y pipe and 2 mufflers with tips.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I got ya :eek:k3:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
My response was solely to his thread's title and the fact that I kept seeing $350 thrown on the screen, I honestly hadn't read your whole response when I posted my suggestion
Agree the OP seems like he is simply looking for a muffler swap. Stock mufflers are designed to well, muffle just about everything a "car guy" wants to hear. A full catback install although, would be nice is not necessary if all you are looking for is a deeper tone. A simple muffler swap and tail pipe tip to add some "bling" to the rear end would suffice. This would likely cost anywhere from $80-120 depending on the muffler, tip, and shop. I would recommend you keep the the muffler as tucked up as possible without having to sacrifice a huge bend on the tail pipe. Keeping the muffler tucked up close to the body will help keep elements away but, too far will mean a huge bend in the tail pipe which, would be a restriction.

If you want an even deeper tone afterwards I recommend having the resonator removed and replaced with a section of pipe. But, that depends on if your state has emissions laws and how they enforce them.

Just my 2 cents :eek:k3:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Understood, understood. I was referring to the $800 system the OP had mentioned. I agree with a simple $100 muffler swap being the most cost effective answer. I posted the only video of a 8th gen LS I could think of, LSKINGS. He seemed to like it, so I gave my input on it. Sorry for any confusion. :beer:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Understood, understood. I was referring to the $800 system the OP had mentioned. I agree with a simple $100 muffler swap being the most cost effective answer. I posted the only video of a 8th gen LS I could think of, LSKINGS. He seemed to like it, so I gave my input on it. Sorry for any confusion. :beer:
No problem :eek:k3:

Just thought we should all put in an opinion. The OP should be able to decide from here. A full catback install would make more sense on a 8+yr old car with already rotting/rusting out exhaust but, on a newer vehicle it just doesn't make sense to replace the whole exhaust quite yet. Unless of course he would go with stainless steel.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
STAINLESS STEEL FTW!!! :beer:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
STAINLESS STEEL FTW!!! :beer:
Agree :eek:k3:

Stainless will last a lot longer and is superior but, I still think its a premature move on an 09'.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Wait a year or two for your mufflers to rot like mine did. My 2006 Impala's mufflers went bad in 2010, so I bought the Magnaflow catback exhaust. I love the sound and look of a stainless steel exhaust.

·
Banned
748 Posts
easiest way is to drive over a large chunk of rock... just large enough that it does not hit anything else under your car.. and there you will have a nice excuse to replace the exhaust because the darn rock wrecked it !!

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
easiest way is to drive over a large chunk of rock... just large enough that it does not hit anything else under your car.. and there you will have a nice excuse to replace the exhaust because the darn rock wrecked it !!
This guy right here... ^

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Stainless is the way to go but, you cannot safely weld a SS muffler to a steel exhaust pipe. There will be weird corrosion/rusting going on not to mention it's difficult to weld. Therefor, you would have to do all SS up until an exhaust flange which, would also have to be SS. Replace the flange gasket and this will act as a barrier between the two metals. Could place 2 gaskets in between for even more protection but, would require more torquing of the bolts. I would also replace the bolts with SS. Mixing SS with steel is not a good idea.

p-3: Unfortunately I don't have the money to be doing such. I have an upper end to worry about right now. Exhaust will come later which, I hopefully will be doing a full SS catback.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts