Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my 02 chevy 2500 for a 00 3.8 impala. Just bought it today and cant stand not having the exhaust like my truck. People say A U-bend delete kit and a cat back is the answer. Cat back is coming but will it sound fine if i dont get rid of the U-Bend or what ever?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just sold my 02 chevy 2500 for a 00 3.8 impala. Just bought it today and cant stand not having the exhaust like my truck. People say A U-bend delete kit and a cat back is the answer. Cat back is coming but will it sound fine if i dont get rid of the U-Bend or what ever?
Dont know what you mean by U-bend?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't think you'll see much, if any, tonal change between having the ubend in there and not having it in there. The ubend may free up 2-3 horsepower, which is nothing all that measurable.

Your choice of muffler and resonator (or no resonator) will have a far bigger impact on the sound.

HeavySS: A ubend is a peice in the 00+ Impala exhaust systems where an O2 sensor is plugged in. It follows the catalytic converter and checks the efficiency. It is literally a bend in the pipe that looks like a U. It's a bit restrictive. Removing it means installing an aftermarket downpipe from ZZP or another company, or simply cutting out that section of pipe and replacing it with a straight section.

Removing the Ubend may cause a check engine light due to funny readings from that second 02 sensor. In 2000-2003 models, an O2 simulator can be used so that you don't need to drill a hole in your exhaust and reinstall that sensor... but you may fail emissions if they look under the car and realise you no longer have a second O2 sensor under there.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
leave the res in if you go flow IMO, the drone can get annoying

2004 Chevy Impala LS, DPP Headers, full 3" mandrel- Video

its a little long but was waiting for the idle to kick down ;)

I NEVER threw any codes when i deleted mine, i put the o2 90* clockwise from where stock is, just watch they dont pinch/scrape the wires when they relocate it. You wont hear a difference by removing it either.

BEST way to delete it is to grab a downpipe (ZZP/3800performance/etc), if you grab the long catless one, it'll bolt to exsisting cat back. The down pipe is the most restrictive part of the exh on our cars, then the u bend, 2 birds 1 stone ~$200. then you can figure what you want for catback after wards ;)

·
Registered
358 Posts
id go with the down pipe that has a u-bend delete like 04DetroitLS said 2 birds 1 stone, & it is one of the most restrictive parts of the exhaust.

·
Registered
22 Posts
BEST way to delete it is to grab a downpipe (ZZP/3800performance/etc), if you grab the long catless one, it'll bolt to exsisting cat back. The down pipe is the most restrictive part of the exh on our cars, then the u bend, 2 birds 1 stone ~$200. then you can figure what you want for catback after wards ;)
how much would the total increase in hp be with the u-bend deletion and the new down pipe? On a 04' ls with the 3800

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
>5hp, you'll loose bottom end torque but make up top end hp, it really helps the car if there are a few other mods (IE Hviii) OR THE S/C Cars, the dp/u bend are the most restrictive areas of the exhaust. If you buy an aftermarket dp w/ cat. Dont buy the ubend kit if you are going cat back, the exh.shop can do it for you ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
>5hp, you'll loose bottom end torque but make up top end hp, it really helps the car if there are a few other mods (IE Hviii) OR THE S/C Cars, the dp/u bend are the most restrictive areas of the exhaust. If you buy an aftermarket dp w/ cat. Dont buy the ubend kit if you are going cat back, the exh.shop can do it for you ;)
yea I was just gonna get the 2.5in u bend delete/dp from zz performance, my next mod would be cold air intake and than I start saving and getting ready to do the mods to put the s/c on it :biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts