Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left front hub has begun making scraping noises on RH sweepers and turns, indicating bearing in failure mode. No noise running straight ahead or turning left. Only 53K miles on the car, which I consider somewhat early for a wheel bearing failure. I've read that the hub bearings in these cars - both front and rear - are weak points, but to have one fail this soon is ridiculous. :mad:

Oh well. It is what it is. An AC Delco replacement hub and fresh hardware won't be here from Rock Auto until late next week. I'll need to put about 120 mostly highway miles on the car before I can swap out the bad hub, but I'm pretty certain I'll be safe driving it that long. Most owners probably wouldn't have even noticed it yet.

I've checked out the YouTube video on the replacement procedure that was produced by BlueDriver, which is really well done. Everything looks very straightforward, and the only tool required that I don't already have in the crib is a 34mm axle nut socket, which Amazon Prime will deliver tomorrow.

Meanwhile, does anybody who has already tackled this procedure have any cautions or pearls of wisdom to offer?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I've done 3-4 front hubs on '12+'s, and yes, pretty straightforward. I use a 4" wobble ext. on the 3 13mm hub bolts. Remember to keep the axle pushed in with your thumb when removing the 3 bolts. Some people pop out the outer tie rod end (19mm) from the knuckle to facilitate turning the wheel back and forth by hand while working.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Done 2 fronts on our 2012 and it is really not much trouble at all. Be sure to use new hub bolts and supposed to also use new hub nut.

Our first failure was around the same mileage as yours, did not even know it was bad, but dealer had the car to do an alignment and said it was bad that they could not do the alignment until the bearing was replaced. Dealer had us in a bit of a bind on that one as we had to have the car for my wife to go out of town the next day so I let them do the job. That bearing they used would fail again before we put another 50,000 on it.

So total on our car has been 3 front wheel bearing assemblies before the car hit 110,000 miles if I remember correctly. Car has over 177,000 on it now, and knock on wood has not had another failure.

I went with the ac delco hubs from rock auto and they ended up being stamped skf and were made in korea.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the helpful input folks! The support here is what makes this forum so outstanding.
(y)

Turns out that Rock Auto stocks the hubs and hardware at a distribution center here in Phoenix, so I received my order earlier this week. I had to travel to Philly mid-week on business, returning home yesterday afternoon, and I had planned to install the new hub today, but I'm pushing off installation for a bit.

Upon further review, as they say, I became suspicious of the hub assembly on the other side, as well, so I ordered a second hub and the hardware for that one today. Since I'm forced to do this job with the car on jack stands, and would like to put it back up on the stands just once, I'll wait until I have everything necessary to replace both hubs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts