Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey does anyone know if it is possible to have a tune for E85 if your car is not a GM flex fuel car. I would like to start running E85 plus to my understanding there should be some performance gains also.

Sent from my GT-P7510

·
Registered
82 Posts
You can definitely tune your PCM for E85. It's usually as simple as changing the stoich value from gasoline or E10 to the correct value for E85.

You would likely need bigger fuel injectors (not sure what's in the LS4 from the factory). E85 requires a much richer AFR then gasoline, so the fuel system needs to be capable. You may need a pump upgrade, too- again, not sure. The fuel injectors require a quick value change in the PCM as well. No big deal.

The rest of the system should be fine- most newer cars are equipped to deal with the corrosive properties of ethanol as most gas is E10 (or higher) now.

There are performance gains switching to E85 and tuning for it. These are much more pronounced with boosted setups. You'd likely pick up a few horsepower N/A, though not enough to justify the swap if performance is the sole motivating factor.

Hope this helps- posting on a bigger LSx forum (LS1Tech maybe?) might be more beneficial.

Reactions: Edward.Nigma

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can definitely tune your PCM for E85. It's usually as simple as changing the stoich value from gasoline or E10 to the correct value for E85.

You would likely need bigger fuel injectors (not sure what's in the LS4 from the factory). E85 requires a much richer AFR then gasoline, so the fuel system needs to be capable. You may need a pump upgrade, too- again, not sure. The fuel injectors require a quick value change in the PCM as well. No big deal.

The rest of the system should be fine- most newer cars are equipped to deal with the corrosive properties of ethanol as most gas is E10 (or higher) now.

There are performance gains switching to E85 and tuning for it. These are much more pronounced with boosted setups. You'd likely pick up a few horsepower N/A, though not enough to justify the swap if performance is the sole motivating factor.

Hope this helps- posting on a bigger LSx forum (LS1Tech maybe?) might be more beneficial.
Hey thanks for the quick reply. I was doing some searching as well and found a very interesting post on another forum about E85 and E100 (Converting to E85 (ethanol fuel) - Turbobricks Forums). This was very informative. I do plan adding a turbo setup but at 5k that will not be happening at this time. The posting listed above did mention that most cars that are not setup to run ethanol will just a tune and larger injectors seeing that the car needs to pump 42% more fuel than with the traditional gas engine. It did say that because of the different burn rates and cooling effects of ethanol I should see better fuel mileage at idle, part throttle and low load/cruising and better perform under WOT/boost in the form of more torque and a small hp gain. It did say that the best gains are with boosted cars. So I may look into getting that turbo system by fall of this year. Now I have to find a turner that can/will tune my car to run on E85. Plus at $.2.85 at the gas station across the street from me it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the $3.99 for premium in GA.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Swarzkopf has several good points that will need to be taken care of to run E85 properly. Most cars built in the last 10 - 20 years can run E85 just fine to a point, some cars can tolerate more than others. I do not know how much your car can take before you get a CEL or have performance issues but I do have a co-worker that for the last 10 years has been running E85 in his 1999 Camaro SS and he can have a bout 70 - 75% of his tank be E85 and the rest E10 and not get a CEL or have any performance issues. You can go here and see how one person converted his 2001 Ford Explorer to run on E85 using FlexTek Converting to E85 FFV. You can also go here to see what others are tuning their vehicles with for E85 Self Tunning Software Programs

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
One point I feel should be made, e85 will not get you better mileage under any circumstance, in fact it has been known to give as much as 20% worse mileage. And price wise I'm not sure in your area, but here it's actually more expensive than gas. I can see wanting to use it in a high performance application, but for any other reason is completely counterproductive.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Its not worth it. Yes turbo guys love E85 becuase it lets them run more boost, however in a normal car E85 is a joke. I have not run it in the 2012 impala but the 08 LT was a E85 car, on regular 87 octain i got 22-23 mpg in town.. on E85 it got 12. Remember that you need double the fuel on straight E85, ( at the time ) savings of $.50 a gallon cost you more.. All the gas station here that sold it, no longer sale E85.

So yes i can be done, No i wouldnt do it, Yes its a waist of cash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts