Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am planning on fixing up a 2000 Impala I recently acquired. So I wanted a thread to sort of document the progress as I go.

The Before Details: (Things that don't work/need replacing)
Steering wheel buttons
Auto Dim rear view mirror
Map Lights
Heater/AC Control Unit
Cigarette Lighter
Wheel Speed Sensor / Wiring Harness
TCC / Solenoid / wiring
Side View Mirror adjustment control
Steering Column shroud
Headlight housings
Dents pulled
Minor Rust removed
Wheels / Rims
Blinker Intermittent Operation

The Before Picture:

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Interested to see the progress! Sounds like most of the issues you have are pretty minor and easy to address.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah today I knocked out the heater/ac control unit... Vacuum line was broken in the engine bay. I also fixed my blinker issue, which I forgot to put in the list of stuff to do, and my cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found the issue today with my auto-dim mirror and map lights. The plug on the back of the mirror has a little bit of play while fully inserted which vibrations and what not will cause it to loose power. Fixed it by pulling the plug out blowing both ends out with air, then instead of fully inserting I put it in till right before the clip locks in place. It is tight enough to not jiggle loose and maintains its connection.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixed the issue with my Trac Off and ABS indicator lights coming on... It was as simple as just removing and cleaning the connectors on the brake pump and the 2 front wheel speed sensors!

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
You may need to replace the speed sensor harnesses in the future. Keep an eye for it to return. This issue likes to be intermittent.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I was actually planning on replacing the harnesses, but I figured what the heck, might as well try to just clean them. The harnesses actually looked really good, the sensors however looked pretty old.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sanded the few rust spots along the bottom of the doors and on the fender and primed them. Also removed all the rust from the wheels.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I bought some paint that is a match to my impala and lightly went over my primer spots today, doesn't look the greatest but better than rust or primer. I also smoked the fog lights and the headlights a little.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed side view mirror adjustment problem, my switch and the one I got from junk yard were bad. Ordered a new one put it in today, now the side mirrors can be adjusted in all directions instead of just up.

*Edited for spelling.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replaced my clock spring today... What a pain in the ass that was! Nothing wanted to go easy!... Lol Now my radio buttons on my steering wheel work, haven't tested cruise control yet. However my airbag light is still lit up on my dash. Does the 2000 impala have a weight sensor for the front passenger so if there isn't enough weight it deactivates he passenger airbag?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Front right outer CV Boot got replaced today.... Only a thousand more things to fix!... Lol

·
Registered
838 Posts
I know all about that never ending "to do" list. At least I don't have an old lady handing me her version of one! :lol:

Reactions: dustin.frisbie

·
Registered
57 Posts
hey dustin, is the auto dim rear view mirror also exist in a 2002 impala with onstar? ive thought that my car might have that but never noticed anything. 2002 LS 3.8 impala here

·
Registered
57 Posts
ive experienced this too. dealer says its a issue with the wiring harness that would cost 3k to replace. they only replace the whole thing at the dealer. My mechanic did some work on my wiring harness and claims its good but I have problems with abs and trac not working.

·
Registered
838 Posts
OMG, $3k? I would have fallen over, faked a stroke and sued them for well, $3k sounds about right... :giggle:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Front right outer CV Boot got replaced today.... Only a thousand more things to fix!... Lol

Did you replace the CV shafts too?, how difficult was it for you to do that, I have 1 bad CV joint and a slightly torn boot on my other axle, thinking of doing it myself or else there goes 400$ to my mechanic

·
Registered
57 Posts
OMG, $3k? I would have fallen over, faked a stroke and sued them for well, $3k sounds about right... :giggle:

to be honest I don't know how all this reply stuff works but oh well. since ive had my mechanic fix it ive had problems with trac and abs still. sometimes when braking normally I will see the abs flash then feel some clunking or resistance in my brake pedal if you know what I mean. trac control light is on and says it needs to be serviced. kind of curious how you service trac control and the procedure.

·
Registered
838 Posts
kind of curious how you service trac control and the procedure.
No idea about that. Traction Control back in 96 was pretty much telling people to go easy on the gas pedal. lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
No idea about that. Traction Control back in 96 was pretty much telling people to go easy on the gas pedal. lol

I'm swapping my front brakes to 13.6 brembos do you think I should make an effort at the abs or just pull the plug on it...If I have abs I want it to work when needed. I don't want a false sense of security.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts