Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I have been thinking about doing dual exhaust in the spring. I have read countless threads on here talking about it. Most seem to be kits. I already have the factory muffler replaced with a flow master super 44. I want dual exhaust for the looks. I doubt there will be much of a difference between dual with flow master's and single with flow master. So what i'm wondering, should I do a y-pipe right before the flow master, then add another flow master and piping to the other side or do I just straight pipe it to the other side. Or put a y-pipe after the muffler to do the dual exhaust. Or sell the flow master and just put a y-pipe then straight pipe to the back.:dunno:

I want to do the most work that I can by myself. And also the most cost effective. I will not be getting a dual cut out bumper. I also want it to sound good too. Thanks ahead!

Or I could get a cut out and just run off of that, instead of a y-pipe.

·
Makes your VISION, stop & stare
3,934 Posts
the first pic will be the only way you can do it, reason being is because the spare tire and the bulge it makes doesnt make any clearance for anything to go underneath it as in you doing the 45 degree pipes.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright. Thanks. Any idea how far apart I should have by tips? Also will it flow alright, I know exhaust likes to go to the shorter route so I'm just wondering if it's even worth putting the dual exhaust in.

·
Makes your VISION, stop & stare
3,934 Posts
truthfully i think the only way you can go about doing this, is the way the impalas diagram of how the exhaust setup is.

thats with the y pipe before the muffler. not sure if the muffler will fit at the spot you have now.? not sure if its been done before.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What engine do you have? Ive got the 3.5, it sounds alot better without mufflers (I used to have flowmasters on mine). but the first one would be your best bet.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3.5, tried it without the muffler and it was too loud, especially when at cruising speeds.

·
Registered
198 Posts
you could always swap out a dual system from a gtp or SS, or walker does have OE style piping for duals thats not to expensive, i opted for the maganflow 16707 kit since i got it for $610 shipped to my door which was $400 cheaper than most places, all depends on budget tho, NAIOA has a extensive list of exhaust systems in a sticky there

·
Registered
178 Posts
IMO I would y-pipe it somewhere in front of the rear axel and run 2 flowmasters. If its for looks it will at least look like a true dual exhaust. If you do it with one muffler and you can see where the pipe splits standing behind the car it looks ugly to me. Here is a pic as an example.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts