Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 Impala LS that I converted from a single to dual exhaust. I noticed when its cold outside that the exhaust don't flow evenly through each exhaust tip. Is this normal for this kind of set up?

·
Makes your VISION, stop & stare
3,934 Posts
Not normal. I did the same setup. And mine flows evenly. Possible not a good weld. I will go back to the shop that did it and ask them to check the flow and welds.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I will take it back this evening. I got this done in January hopefully I can get them to fix it for free. Another question I have since this is not normal is would this pose some negative effects with my engine/tranny? Gas milage? Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BUMP I know we are at work but with all the views I know somebody got some info! Stop holdin out fellas lol!

·
Makes your VISION, stop & stare
3,934 Posts
^^^x2

If it were before the cat convert than it would have effects bcuz of back pressure and the o2 sensors

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Do this

Get a good sized rag in the palm of your hand and hold it over the pipe that has the most amount of flow. Does the other one increase?. If it does then it's simply the exhaust finding the easiest way out. If it builds pressure and you can hear it hissing then you got an issue. I suspect the engine is 2 into 1 and then "they" split it into 2 again, (probably after the muffler ) The exhaust will find the easiest most straight route out. Just remember that the single exhaust was deemed by those who built it to be adequate. Not saying it's the best, but it was adequate.

IMO that is.

Paul

Reactions: SCOTTYINWV

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I agree with pauly on a y pipe the exhaust is going to take the fastest escape route. I would be worried if it was a true dual setup but its not gonna be on an w body impala. Every vehicle I've owned with a y pipe has had more flow out the shortest side. You can tell when its cold and your exhaust is steaming

·
Banned
667 Posts
Do this

Get a good sized rag in the palm of your hand and hold it over the pipe that has the most amount of flow. Does the other one increase?. If it does then it's simply the exhaust finding the easiest way out.

Paul
water,electricity,air(when under pressure ) take the path of lest resistance.

·
Super Moderator
10,775 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Mine is a y-bend and flows almost completely, if not 100% equal on both sides. Maybe it's the way it was run, but I do know sometimes y-bends can restrict flow to the dual side and more exhaust will want to flow out the original path.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im thinking this what what it is. Thanks for the replys. Saved me from going an raising hell at the muffler shop lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts