Impala Forums banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Got the wheel skins a little bit ago and the verdict... love how they look! :love7:
I popped out the center cap, popped these on and put the center cap back on, that's it. Took maybe 5 minutes to install them all. For $68.99 they look fantastic.

Didn't try to get a tire iron or socket on them but they look like they will be fine and not have to be removed.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
thats pretty nice there. do they feel well made?
Yea they seem well made and feel solid on the wheel. We don't get much snow around my area so keeping them nice should be pretty easy.

·
Super Moderator
12,442 Posts
That's the great part about these skins - even if you need to replace them every 3 years or so, it's very inexpensive to do so (compared to replacing real chrome wheels, which would be over $1k). I just wouldn't spend the $$ on real chrome wheels because I live in an area where road salt is used. To be honest, I haven't had any issues with the chrome finish though - even after going through a few PA winters - no pitting, peeling or anything like that at all - and I don't clean them much in the winter...

Then again, I really don't drive the car as much as I used to since I work from home now - plus, it's garage kept - so that may play a role in them staying in such good condition. Will be interesting to see how long that last for you. Is your car garage kept?

And trust me - pictures really don't do them justice - I'm sure they look even better in person (I know mine do).

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Only vehicle of ours in our 1 car detached garage is my Harley.

Glad you posted about these Jtosky, damn good addition to the car and it didn't break the bank. I loved the way the car looked but was never real happy with the gray wheels against the black paint. Now they look like I envisioned they should.
Hard to beat black and chrome.

·
Super Moderator
12,442 Posts
Completely agree - nothing like "black and chrome" - it's the prefect combination!

Before I bought my Charger wheels (which came with the chrome skins), I never even knew these things existed. They just make so much sense. I'm sure real chrome wheels look a *little* better up close in person, but not better enough to justify the cost difference, that's for damn sure! And unless you get really get up close and inspect them, you'd never know the difference...

I just wish that they made them for ALL wheels. Would be great to have these for the 8th gen wheels (17" LT and 18" LTZ wheels - I think they do exist for some of the 16" wheels).

Anyway - glad to hear that they worked out for you and that you are happy with them.

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
1970cs and Crowley if you get them please post some pics in here. I wanna see them on your cars and hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
So it's been about 19 months or so since I got these chrome wheel skins and about 9,200 miles ago. We haven't had a tire rotation done until last Saturday when it was in for an oil change/tire rotation at the dealer. I was kind of scared that they might mess up the wheel skins but they did the rotation and not a scratch. I am almost certain they took the wheels off without taking the skins off. I tried messing with them and taking them before it went in but gave up, they are on there tight.
This last winter they were looking pretty cruddy but after using some Wolfgang all wheel cleaner on them and car wash soap they came out looking great again. I would definately buy them again and may do so just to have a spare set. They dropped in price on Ebay from the same place I bought them from, down to $68.50 from $68.99. I could almost buy a candy bar with that savings... :icon_biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
12,442 Posts
I rotate my own wheels and never remove the wheel skins to do it - the 4-way tire iron/lug wrench that I use works perfectly fine with the wheel skins installed - normally, there is no reason to remove them. However, I have removed mine a few times and it does take some effort to get them off. It's one of those things where once you remove them once or twice, you kind of figure out how to do it with a little less effort. I also bought a spare set and a gloss black set, although I don't know why - I can't imagine ever switching from chrome to black... :) Will probably end up just re-selling them - or maybe having them painted body color - I had a white Grand Prix once with white body-color wheels and it looked really nice...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It's easier to get the black wheel look by just letting them get filthy in brake dust. Pretty much the same look.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Looks good!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.