Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was noticing a droning/humming noise from the front driver side wheel area before I changed my struts and sway link, and now that those have been changed it is much worse than before. The noise is most predominant at 40 to 50 mph and when turning right, it is also pulling right. I was curious if anyone else has had this issue, and would I assume correct if I said I think its possibly the bearings on one of the front wheels? And if so, I would assume its good practice to replace both front wheel bearings at a time?

You know what they say about assuming. A little back ground on the car, its a 2008 Impala LT with 107000 city miles on it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
sure sounds like bearings to me. do you mean replace inner and outer bearings on one side? or both sides? I guess, I'd do both even if one wasn't making any noise.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree it's most likely a bearing failure. Replaced three of the four on mine before about 80,000 miles on the clock. The last one (right rear) mysteriously is still going strong.

The drone was the characteristic hint, with the pitch changing as the vehicle was 'swerved'. When I detected a problem with a front one, inspection turned out that both were failing - found by grabbing the top and bottom of the tire and rocking in-n-out, and verifying this slop wasn't something else such as the ball joints.

Here's a selection from AutoZone - Wheel Bearing/Hub Assembly-Front | 2008 Chevrolet Impala 6 Cylinders 3 3.9L SFI Flex Fuel | AutoZone.com - a one-piece assembly - not too terribly hard to change. My advice is to not go cheap, unless you're planning on trading within the next year or so.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
X3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input that helps, any how to's on replacing the whole assembly? Juma, I did mean both sides of the car, I'm pretty handy but have never done bearings and bearings being packed and sealed at a factory make more sense to me, for reliability and my sanity.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks for the input that helps, any how to's on replacing the whole assembly? Juma, I did mean both sides of the car, I'm pretty handy but have never done bearings and bearings being packed and sealed at a factory make more sense to me, for reliability and my sanity.
I'd always replace both on one side just due to the possibility of contamination of a working bearing by splinters and such from one going bad.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Cars have not had open bearings in over 20 years, these are sealed assemblies. Each wheel has one bearing.

Reactions: Mike Z
1 - 8 of 8 Posts