Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys... got another one. 1991 Caprice (civvy car, not 9C1, nothing special)

I noticed a while back (maybe 6 mos ago) that I had a leaking wheel seal in the back. I took it to a chain repair place (Belle Tire, yeah I know but they do free diagnostics) over the weekend to get an estimate on repairs.

Well they give me some spiel about the axle shaft being shot and that in the past, someone had used a "space saver bearing" to hold up the slack. Kind of a temporary fix that just resurfaced. The car was my great-grandpa's and I do know he was in a wreck that did damage the rear end. I have the receipt, though you can't read anything on it, so I can't confirm what they did.

The guy said that I need a new axle shaft, bearings and seals. He also said (and I already knew) that the leaking rear end grease took out my rear brakes, which would need to be redone.

My question is: have any of you heard of a "space saver bearing"? I never have before. Also, I replaced an axle shaft in my '79 Monte and it was relatively easy (non-posi). I'm not sure I want to tackle this particular job since I no longer have a garage to work in.

They quoted me like $450 to fix it all. I know I can do the brakes myself for about $125.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
We have used them, we know them as "axle savers" and they are somewhat common to use. As for the rear brakes, what exactly did grease "take out" that costs 450? I do not think pads should cost 450:) Get another opinion.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have used them, we know them as "axle savers" and they are somewhat common to use. As for the rear brakes, what exactly did grease "take out" that costs 450? I do not think pads should cost 450:) Get another opinion.
Nono.. $450 to replace the axle shaft, new bearing, new seal and then brakes. Cylinders, shoes (with hardware or course), and drums.

Do the axle savers go bad and cause oil leaks after a while? And what are the usual reasons to use an axle saver bearing? Is it just a cost saver over a new axle shaft?

The axle grease clogged up the brakes ruining the cylinder and shoes on the passenger side.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
I see nothing unusual about the damages or repair. I don't pay for labor on anything ut alignments but the totasl bill does not strike me as odd.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK.. I got some more info from the guys who fixed it. They say that a used drive axle was installed but it's not a posi traction unit. They do not know what the used axle came out of but they say that there was no modifications done to make it fit.

Did the Caprice ever come without positraction? I'm guessing the V-6 models probably did. Sounds like gramps went cheap on the repair!

What's an average price for a used/rebuilt posi rear end? Any input?

I checked fleabay and my local CL but no hits for a rear end.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
OK.. I got some more info from the guys who fixed it. They say that a used drive axle was installed but it's not a posi traction unit. They do not know what the used axle came out of but they say that there was no modifications done to make it fit.

Did the Caprice ever come without positraction? I'm guessing the V-6 models probably did. Sounds like gramps went cheap on the repair!

What's an average price for a used/rebuilt posi rear end? Any input?

I checked fleabay and my local CL but no hits for a rear end.
yea alot of caprices didnt have posi my 91 did not

also i dont think that caprice ever came w a v6 maybe the old ones but not any 91 thru 96's

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Yep, there was a V-6 in a few b-body Cappy's. I think it was a 4.4 or a 4.6 V-6.
i thought the 4.3 thAT U REFERED TO IS A SMALLER V8???? MAYBE IM MISTAKEN:confused:
(ive never owned one and never plan on owning a caprice w/o a 350 maybe for a parts car or hot rod project ) lol

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i thought the 4.3 thAT U REFERED TO IS A SMALLER V8???? MAYBE IM MISTAKEN:confused:
(ive never owned one and never plan on owning a caprice w/o a 350 maybe for a parts car or hot rod project ) lol
Oh snap! You're right and I'm a dumbass. It is a small V-8.

Ordinarily I wouldn't either but at the time I was flat-ass broke and the car was free. Couldn't pass up that deal!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
yea if it was free and a chevy id take it lmao!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts