Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Chevy Impala. Great car, have had hardly any issues with it.

The past few weeks my drivers seat has been acting up. It will go backward just fine, but would only go forward every once in a while. Luckily I have long legs and can reach the pedals still.

Now late last week, I went to try to move it forward again and it didn’t do anything. So I had the genius idea to put it all the way back and now it is stuck there. It is an automatic with the little lever you push to move it. I looked under the seat and there is nothing under there that I can see. I am really hoping it’s just like a fuse or something, but I know near to nothing about cars. Could someone please give me an idea about what’s going on? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
I wish I had an answer for you. This type of stuff is one reason why I actually prefer manual seats (although, I see them less and less nowadays). Power seats take forever to move forward/backward all of the way (like when cleaning the car) and are just more problematic. And really, for what benefit? The only benefit I can see with power seats is if they have a "memory" feature and remember the position based on what keyfob is used. Other than that, I just don't like them....

Regarding your issue, it could be a problem with the switch itself or the motor that moves the seat. I'm really not sure how to easily troubleshoot the problem though - you may need to take it to a dealership (or some other shop), especially if you aren't handy with cars.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
The past few weeks my drivers seat has been acting up. It will go backward just fine, but would only go forward every once in a while.
If the seat will go backwards, but sometimes won't go forward, I'm thinking the motor is good but the switch is bad, or there's a wire loose going to the connector at the switch.

If you're handy, you can pull the switch out and check the wires, looking for a loose one. You can also disconnect the cable from the switch and, using jumper wires, try to move the seat. If it works OK with the jumpers, then that confirms the switch is bad.

If you wish to try jumpering the wires, let me know and I'll try to dig up a drawing.

Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts