Impala Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...is it possible to put one into a car that doesn't have it? I have this 'cubby' in the center of my headliner, behind my windshield, I was wondering how it would be wired and what I would have to do if I was able to locate one and try to put it in.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can do one. THere are a few things that you will need....

Find a Good donor car, (One that has the DIC) you will need the Unit, The Mounting Bracket, and the Wiring harness.

The hardest part is putting in the Harness. The problem is that it runs from the front where the DIC goes to the back of the car. Sadly it don't make since but that is how it is wired.

It used to be there was a company that made a T Harness for this install. However from what I have found out over the last couple of years they don't offer that anymore. However that may have changed. In all Honesty it still needs to run to the back so it would be better to get an OEM harness anyway...

With your Cubby that you have in there now, There is one Torx Bit screw on the mirror side, THen there is 2 CLIPS on the side, and 2 metal clips in the front of the cubby that holds it to the liner. The Bracket is just free floating in the roof....

Also another part you may or may not need is the Air TEmp Sensor that is out by the Radiator. If you look under plastic bit infront of the Radiator and there is a 2 wire wiring connector hanging there I would be sure to find the one the in Donor car and take it as well...

Don't mistake the sensor mounted at the top for the Airbag system as the one I am talking about. (It looks kind of like a bullet (ACDELCO 10248414 GM Original Equipment INFO DISPLAY(U68)))

You could run your own wiring system for your DIC as well. Also I am not 100% sure if the Cubby and the DIC are the same size or not. It could be that the Cubby is little larger so the hole in the Headliner with the cubby is larger then the dic. It has been a while so I can't remember off hand....

If you do it and want some help I am sure there are others and myself that would be more then happy to help all we can...

James
lol I may have made the wrong assumption about the cubby that I thought it was just an empty spot where the DIC would go. But I will look into it if I'm ever up for a project. Seems like I'd have to take the headliner off to wire it to the back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.