Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to drain the gas tank on my 03, I do have a hand operated transfer pump,can I use this to get the gas out? Or is there another way?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I need to drain the gas tank on my 03, I do have a hand operated transfer pump,can I use this to get the gas out? Or is there another way?
All I can say is, try it. I'm not sure what, if anything, is in the line that might prevent the hose from getting all the way thru to the tank.

Seems like I tried it once and couldn't get the siphon hose in there. As a workaround, as I recall, I got under the car, and disconnected the fill hose at the tank, then inserted the siphon hose to drain the tank. It's been a long time and the details are fuzzy.

One other thought, keep in mind, on a 2003, there's an access panel behind the rear seat. I think you would have to remove the fuel pump to access the fuel, so it's not a trivial process. But that's another option.

Does the fuel pump work? I've heard of folks disconnecting a fuel line under the hood and using the fuel pump to drain the tank. That might require some test equipment to turn on the fuel pump. And, frankly, this idea is a little bit scary to me.

Good luck with it.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
On old Fords, I've disconnected the hose going to the fuel filter and removed the fuel pump relay underhood and hotwired/jumpered it to command the fuel pump on emptying into cans/buckets. Iirc, I slipped a small garden hose over the disconnected filter hose to redirect the gas into the containers. I did this for an intermittently failing fuel pump with no top access hole. On another car i fought with jacks lowering a pretty full tank. Not fun by yourself, lol! Again, iirc, there's some anti-siphoning device built into the filler pipe not allowing going in that way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To add on to Plano-Doug good comments, seems a fuel pump replacement in Impalas is common. I watch a lot of youtube vids just to be prepared for when that day comes as I'm going to drive mine til the wheels fall off.
You didn't say if your fuel pump is working or not. If so , these videos might help. (SMA)
or
This SMA video shows siphoning directly from the tank. It is a 2011, so it may differ from yours.
(skip to 9:26), there's a screen in the filler neck that prevents
siphoning from the gas cap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fuel pump is working fine, I am just wanting to drain the gas out, before I let it go back to the finance company. I did find the fuel pump access plate in the upper trunk area, I was thinking of taking a line off at the pump,then run a hose from it and then use it to get the fuel out of the tank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts