Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to find a set. I know a lot about motors but kinda clueless when it comes to tires. Looking for a set to fit the stock SS rims. I have a second set and need tires for the track. I don't need the worlds best tires. But i don't know why but the local track where i live doesn't allow you to use the same tires you drove in on on the track. I don't know why, don't ask. I know I can get a another set of street tires but rather have some drag slicks or drag radials. I don't mind the water box to much, trans has been beefed up to the 4t65HD. I know the risk but im ok with that. Any thoughts? I found these(i think) let me know.

Hoosier Racing Tire 17320 - Hoosier DOT Drag Radial Tires - Overview - SummitRacing.com

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
If they're gonna be strip only tires, there's not much sense in getting drag radials...just go full slicks, just my opinion though..as for brand, I think it will be a subjective opinion, some people will prefer one brand and some others will prefer another, I would look up the different compound types and go for the stickiest! I'm sure there have been tests..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To my knowledge, dont slicks need tubes. And can slicks be used on stock style rims. Sticky is good. Any other links or leads.

Also. NHRA rules for the bracket class that im in says that I must use DOT approved tires at all points races. Only reason why I was leaning towards drag radials and not slicks.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
sons of bitches....really?? That's lame...umm.. these guys are usually on top of things as far as the performance world, didn't read through all the posts, but I'm sure there's plenty of info to go through..

Best Drag Radial Tire Poll - LS1TECH

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
You aren't going to be able to go very wide on those rims, a 225 is already over 8 inches wide, on a 6.5 inch rim that already pushing it if you ask me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You aren't going to be able to go very wide on those rims, a 225 is already over 8 inches wide, on a 6.5 inch rim that already pushing it if you ask me.
I know. I don't want anything wider. I can't afford new rims and tires. I just want something that fits those rims so I can finish this race season.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what times do u run now?
Low to mid 15s. 15.12 was my best to date with my current mods. Still waiting to break the 14 sec mark. Remember, I have a na 3400.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Low to mid 15s. 15.12 was my best to date with my current mods. Still waiting to break the 14 sec mark. Remember, I have a na 3400.
thats why i asked, i had no clue what times you would be running. Thats about what my 94 SS used to run before i sold it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1/4 mile. Stock times are right around 16.6 sec. My best is a 15.1 and I average around 15.3-15.4 sec. Also with very light weight in car. No rear seats no passager seat. Trunk is gutted to nothing. Less than 1/8 tank of gas. Missing driver side headlight. Its not like I run that every day of the week when I drive around town. Sadly its more like mid to upper 15s without all my missin pieces. lol. Although all racing I do is bracket racing, so my ET really doesnt matter for what I do.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No turbo. Maybe some laughing gas every once in a while...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts