Impala Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my '09 LTZ for a year and it's been a good car, except for the factory 18 inch wheels. They look great, but they don't fare too well on Michigan roads(replacing them gets expensive). I'm downgrading to 16 inch wheels, with a 225/65R16 tire size. I've done the math and it looks like the speedometer difference will be barely noticeable. I'm wondering if anyone has done this before on their LTZ.

I'm going to sell my LTZ wheels in the for sale section shortly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Four Wheel alignment..
Still cheaper in the long run.
There are trade-offs..

probably a good sound decision
Resale value might take a hit.

Let us know what you think of your experience after a year..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the benefits of smaller wheels and a bigger sidewall outweigh the costs in this case. I absolutely HATE the stock 18 inch wheels on my LTZ.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've owned my '09 LTZ for a year and it's been a good car, except for the factory 18 inch wheels. They look great, but they don't fare too well on Michigan roads(replacing them gets expensive). I'm downgrading to 16 inch wheels, with a 225/65R16 tire size. I've done the math and it looks like the speedometer difference will be barely noticeable. I'm wondering if anyone has done this before on their LTZ.

I'm going to sell my LTZ wheels in the for sale section shortly.
You can use this site to try out some different sizes.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

·
45 Posts
I do not have personal experience, but we frequently see customers switching from 18-inch to 16-inch, mainly to improve ride comfort & noise. Just bear in mind that more sidewall height translates into more "tire roll" so you may see a decrease in handling.

Have you already picked out the tires and wheels? If not, and if you would like some assistance from our end, let us know and we'll make sure you're taken care of!

For reference, DTD (Discount Tire Direct) mounts and road force balances all tire and wheel packages at no additional charge - shipping is FREE as well!

Details: Home | Discount Tire Direct

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
tire roll is real on the 225 60 16 steel rims. have you thought of going with a 17 inch? might be a little more sidewall while maintaining some of the handling. i think the calipers are the same so they shouldn't rub with a 16 inch rim, but you may want to check first before committing to paying for all of the tires/wheels first.

I've not had an issue with 16's in MI/IN for 7 years and I've had some BIG pot holes jump out in front of me lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just picked up some stock 16 inch alloys off of a wrecked LT at the local U-Pull. Going to slap some Blizzaks on them.

·
Super Moderator
10,948 Posts
I put 16's on steel wheels on my 06 LTZ with winter tires ( 225-60-16). They were cheaper and more selection available than going to the 17's. Other than the noise of the winter tire, ( pretty aggressive tread ) she does not feel any difference in the handling. I do, but winter is not a good time for "cornering" here anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just picked up some stock 16 inch alloys off of a wrecked LT at the local U-Pull. Going to slap some Blizzaks on them.
I am extremely interested in whether you think going from 18" to 16" for the increased sidewall was worth the time/effort as far as the ride harshness?

It's new tire and decision time for my '15 LTZ Limited. At this point, I don't even care about looks, if going to 16" will help the ride issue.

Otherwise, I'm getting the Michelin Pilot MXM4 P235/50ZR18 and hoping for the best.

Thanks,

·
Registered
9 Posts
I doubt tire roll would be much of an issue if you drop from from 18 inch. Police were using 225/60/16 until 2012 when they moved up to 235/55/17. Those cars can do about 145 mph. BTW, unless to absolutely need a full bore winter snow tire, you should look at the Nokian WRG3 (discontinued but still available) or WRG4 all weather. They are year 'round, have the snowflake and are V-rated. Michigan State Police have been equipping all their cars for replacements after the results of their exhaustive 2011 police and 2015 pursuit rated winter tire tests. It does get nasty in Michigan in the winter.

Check out the article on "Humble Pie" on page 15 of MSP Trooper mag.

www.mspta.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/MT-Winter-2016-for-website.pdf

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car rides great. The peace of mind is better, knowing that I'm not gonna have to spend $200 for a wheel if I hit a pothole. I have 9C1 wheels with Goodyear Eagle RS-A Pursuit tires in the summer, and the 16 inch stock alloys with Blizzak WS80s for the winter.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I rarely chastise another poster, but the discount tire, they always make the handling as an issue when changing tire size to a smaller set up. Then gladly sell to any on the younger side, those conestoga wagon wheels and rubber band tires!

Pat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts