Impala Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, a couple months ago I noticed on one of my door appliques (better known as pillars) seemed to have peeled away and have progressively become worse. Now, all of the appliqués on the passenger side have began to peel away starting from the top. I probably made the mistake of running my car through the automatic wash which initially caused the issue. My question here is, does anyone know how to take the current pillars off to replace them with new ones? I haven't have came across any directions or tutorials on how to. On another forum I've spoken to some others with 10th gen impalas with the same issue but they haven't tried replacing them yet either. I've found the replacement parts but before I purchase them I just want to make sure it's something I can tackle myself lol. Thanks!!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Do you have any pictures? I'm curious to see how bad it is. It's a shame that they're already peeling on a such a new car. They have recently begun peeling on my 2005 LaCrosse as well, but it is 12 years old, so I can't complain! While I like the glossy pillar covers better (they look nicer), my 2012 8th gen has "rough" plastic pillars without the glossy coating, so there is nothing to peel, which is nice for durability, but like I said, it doesn't look as nice.

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying to post pictures, but when dragging them to the attachment box nothing uploads :bang:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pictures are rotated, but the first one is from the front 2 appliqués, the second is from the rear.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Wow - that's a shame that it's happening on such a new car! You'd think that GM would have figured out something so basic by now... I can't speak for the new-style impalas, but I know that they can be removed and replaced pretty easily on the previous generation. I believe that someone even posted a how-to on the forum somewhere.

Hopefully someone else with more experience with the new models will chime in - in the meantime, search the forum and maybe you can find the thread about replacing them on the previous generation and see if it applies to your generation as well.... If you can't find it, let me know and I'll see if I can locate it.

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,954 Posts
I'm gonna try to refinish mine this year. All of them are looking like your pictures.
Actually, I will get one from a wreck at Pick And Pull first.
If it turns out I will post it,
if it's a huge fail then disregard this posting.
I did a set of headlights on my minivan last year and I'm thinking the same process for these guys. We'll see

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, the replacemts aren't terribly expensive. I found all 3 pieces on amazon for under $100 total. I'm fine with paying for them since the other side doesn't have any issues so I'd rather them match. Just wish I knew how tough they were to remove. I have seen a video on the previous gen models on how to remove them but I don't want to take any chances on this one.

·
Registered
432 Posts
That is shameful! I have the same year and color 9th gen and mine sits outside in all conditions here in Michigan. I don't have peeling or delaminating of any of mine. But I also wax my exterior of my car once a month including those same pieces.

Pat

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm pretty sure those few automatic washes caused the problem. I was definitely pretty upset but at this point I just want to know if I can replace them myself or better off let a dealership or bodyshop do it. I hate spending time hand washing my car just to see those small but very obvious to me imperfections

That is shameful! I have the same year and color 9th gen and mine sits outside in all conditions here in Michigan. I don't have peeling or delaminating of any of mine. But I also wax my exterior of my car once a month including those same pieces.

Pat

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Our 2015 sits outside all year too unfortunately but the pillars are still like new. I keep ours waxed as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Guys, First of all thanks for the question. I also want to add window film for my car. Because sunlight trouble me a lot in summer when I am drive my car.And my best friend told me about the tint guy services , I used their services and I am fully satisfied with their work. I suggest if some one had same problem like me and sunlight is big issue for them they can use their services.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Damn I would not be expecting that to happen on such a new car.
I'd be pretty upset about that, when it happened to my 8th gen I wasn't too upset since my car was pretty old when it started peeling. You'd think GM would have found a fix for this issue by now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts