Impala Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tried all that, I have been told that the dealer mechanics will try opening it by hitting the actuator to get the insides to unlock, they will do this continuously until it opens. Obviously this process could take minutes or hours. I cannot believe that GM would engineer a locking mechanism that cannot be opened manually.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Yeah, it is a very poor design. That being said, I know that at least one other person *was* able to get the door panel off while the door was closed. Do some searches and I'm sure you'll find it - I do believe that he said how he did it....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
63 Posts
Chrysler's are just as bad. The one in our mini-van appliance went out and had to be replaced. Thankfully the Wife could open the sliding door on that side and reach in and unlock her door. I eventually got it covered under warranty after other issues with it and they (Chrysler) finally sacked up...

Anyway, I have this issue on my Suburban. Albeit when it's <50* they don't work well, and anything over that, they're normal. It's a little more difficult to R&R the motor than in the Impala from what I recall.

So I resorted to white lithium greasing all moving rods, sliders, etc in the lock mechanism and that seemed to help. You're still going to have to remove the door panel, pull back insulation and noise mat(s), and get in there, but it may buy you some time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks guys for you comments, I had the inside door panel off and I finally got the door open, kept beating on the actuator and it final unlocked so I could open the door, then I replaced the defective actuator. Obviously the units are not a sealed unit, they are susceptible to corrosion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone! hopefully this is helpful, but I found some aftermarket universal door lock actuators for under $10 each. Here's a 5 minute video on how to install them on a 2008 Impala. Hopefully this is helpful! It's bullshit how these things are failing like clockwork.
Hi William...thanks for the great option to use after market actuators. 2 door locks failed within 4 months on our 2008 impala LT and it is a pain for the rear door...
Where did you find the 4 pack of after market? I think you mentioned you bought them on amazon, but not sure how you matched the spec.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My actuator will not unlock and the door is closed, neither the inside or outside levers will open the door. I can hear the actuator, but it does not move the lock button and even if you try to move it manually it will not release the lock actuator, it is obviously stuck in side. How do you get the door open in order to replace the defective one with a new one.
I would guess you could get the interior panel off by removing the lower rear seat and the plastic under-seat tray...

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I've Been Having Problems With My Doors Not Locking/Unlocking Properly.
At 1st I Thought It Was The Motor Going Out But I've Noticed That When It's Cool Outside It Locks/Unlocks Properly. Once It Gets 60 Degrees And Up, That's When It Starts Acting Up, It Does The Same Thing W ether I Use The Remote Or Press The Button From The Inside.

from what ive seen when doing some research is this is quite a common problem with these cars.
What is a
Any Tips On What I Should Try 1st? I Heard Replacing Them Costs A lot, If That's The Case Then Using The Key It Is :lol:

I am having the same problem with my 06 impala ss. can not get my driver side rear door open. the locks are working but the one door will not move. What is a so called Actuator and what does it do?
[email protected] or gmail.com

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 06 impala ss. can not get my driver side rear door open. the locks are working but the one door will not move. What is a so called Actuator and what does it do?
[email protected] or gmail.com

This video will explain it:

The 2006 Impala body and doors are virtually identical to the 2008 models.

Note that there are two actuators for the same door; one for the LS and LT models, and a different one for the LTZ models.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts