Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before you all fly off the handle with it being a "stupid toy for rednecks", I want to say that I want to set one up as a second horn- just for making a few tacky entrances to let my friends know I'm here, ya know? I'll put it on a separate button...

Now down to business: I looked at a few models including the Walo brand. The down side is that the feedback says when it drops below 65 degrees outside, the horn will break if you leave the little motor outside in the cold. Rather than disconnect it for the 3 seasons of potential "Ball Freezing Coldness", I'd like to know if there are any other options? any companies make a good quality one that won't freeze up or crap out?

*I looked at the speaker-music-style ones like the ice cream trucks have but those suck in terms of sound quality so I've ruled them out.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
Have some yankee pride! You're a northerner, not in the south! I recommend a "wolf whistle", the type of whistle you do when a hottie strolls by..plus it has the added benefit of getting you noticed in such situations driving down the road or at a stop light, and if she gets upset over the gratuitus "cat call" you can look innocent so she thinks it came from another car..but if you must go with the dixie horn, you probably want a set with metal horns, not the plastic ones, they are higher quality and probably would make it through the winters, but I have no first hand knowledge of them so I couldn't say with certainty, just seems logical.

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
goofball! Are you also going to side slide into your friends driveways?? haha (ebrake drift in this case)

have you looked into transformers sound effects?

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
goofball! Are you also going to side slide into your friends driveways?? haha (ebrake drift in this case)

have you looked into transformers sound effects?
if I didn't care so much for my car I'd make it a point to "power Park" :p

The transformers stuff isn't as good for sound quality... I gotta shop around... my dad's from Florida so I'm a redneck at heart lol

·
Banned
2,492 Posts
yeah, I can imagine they would have to be piped through a speaker, not a horn...there must be an outdoor speaker that's of good quality to produce decent sound that you can mount under the hood and wire up...

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, I can imagine they would have to be piped through a speaker, not a horn...there must be an outdoor speaker that's of good quality to produce decent sound that you can mount under the hood and wire up...
well the problem with the speakers is that they all sound like Ice Cream Truck stuff lol now I had a friend who got pretty much a "creeper mobile" old Lincoln for his first car and he played it while he slowly rolled around past parks and stuff to be an idiot... don't really talk to him much anymore but all I know is that it reeeeeeally sounded crappy.

My dad put one in his customer's 300C and it also sounds like crap... so the horn is the only way to go lol

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Now down to business: I looked at a few models including the Walo brand. The down side is that the feedback says when it drops below 65 degrees outside, the horn will break if you leave the little motor outside in the cold.
I like it. Growing up in the south, I've come to appreciate such things. If you could add 570 cubes of fire breathing, blown big block to it, nobody would question the horn

BTW, you got a link? I'd like to look at some details.

Maybe you could mount the (horn) motor inside the car?

Doug...bona fide but educated redneck...

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like it. Growing up in the south, I've come to appreciate such things. If you could add 570 cubes of fire breathing, blown big block to it, nobody would question the horn

BTW, you got a link? I'd like to look at some details.

Maybe you could mount the (horn) motor inside the car?

Doug...bona fide but educated redneck...

here's the link Amazon.com: Wolo Model 430 Plastic Five Trumpet Musical Air Horn Kit , Plays DixieLand Song - 12 Volt: Automotive

I think putting it inside the car still wouldn't work considering if it's cold outside, the car won't be warm unless I put the heat on all night... lol

I'm looking around and some of the others sound like crap- I found a La Cucaracha horn as part of a demo video and (I'm a Musician) it was in a minor key... sounded sad and morbid... :giggle:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts