Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to modify my exhaust for performance but still have stock exhaust shape (thanks GM). Im looking at the magnaflow direct fit pre cats and the catalytic converter which is behind the first y pipe and pre cats.my question is do i need the pre cats? What do the pre cats do anyways?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I want to modify my exhaust for performance but still have stock exhaust shape (thanks GM). Im looking at the magnaflow direct fit pre cats and the catalytic converter which is behind the first y pipe and pre cats.my question is do i need the pre cats? What do the pre cats do anyways?
if you have the 2012 + impala then yeah get all 3 magnaflow high flow cats. Also, try getting the magnaflow cat-back exhaust too. You will see a big boost in performance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
if you have the 2012 + impala then yeah get all 3 magnaflow high flow cats. Also, try getting the magnaflow cat-back exhaust too. You will see a big boost in performance.
This is what I'm trying to do but who the hell can afford to replace all 3 cats ?? One cat from Magnaflow runs $700 or so. And we need to replace all 3??

·
Registered
83 Posts
The stock exhaust is already flowing about as good as you are going to get with any aftermarket setup. There really is no performance to be gained from altering the exhaust system now a days. Now if you want a different sound, then sure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
One more thing- If you have emissions testing where you live, or think you might move to some place that does have emissions testing, you need to have the emissions system intact and operational. If you try to delete or combine cats, they likely will fail you. Same number of cats, O2 sensors, and a properly working OBD system and check engine light, that goes off after the car is started.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The stock exhaust is already flowing about as good as you are going to get with any aftermarket setup. There really is no performance to be gained from altering the exhaust system now a days. Now if you want a different sound, then sure.
You don't think better exhaust systems on these cars make noticable gains ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts