Impala Forums banner

Does anyone know what % VLT the manufacturer stock tint is on our cars?

6K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  m0untaindr3w 
#1 ·
I want to get 45% suntek carbon film on the rest of my car (already have it on the windshield) and I want to know what the stock tint % is? I dont want the VLT going below 35% after I get the 45% tint installed. Thanks guys!

#2 ·
I think the stock VLT transfer is something like 90 or 95% IIRC.

warning... I may not RC.

Why are you worried about VLT? Not sure where you live, but any state that has something to say about tint being too dark will usually have more of a problem with your windshield being tinted...

#5 ·
I noticed the MD tags on m0untaindr3w's car and feel bad that he got pulled over, I see guys driving around MD where I live with tints that have got to be darker than the 35% total VLT that MD allows, but maybe since m0untaindr3w's car is white it made the tints seem much darker. here's a link I found doing a quick search regarding MD tint laws:

Tinted Windows & Other Vehicle Violations

It's kinda hard to explain real quick but the guys where I got my tints done told me that most cars come from the factory with about 70% VLT, that's why a 50% film is legal in MD (.5 x .7 = .35 total VLT) and a 35% film on stock windows is not (.35 x .7 = about .25 VLT).
I got my 'pala's windows tinted a few weeks ago, and since MD seems strict I went with the 50% all around (the shop displayed 50% film as "MD legal" in big letters), which I can tell is much lighter than m0untaindr3w's previous tints that got him a repair order. From what I've heard, 35% VLT is the MD limit on the front driver/passenger side and rear window, and back door side windows and the windshield 5" strip can be as dark as you want? Not sure.

Not trying to prove anyone wrong, just going with what the guys at Dr. Tint and Details in MD told me. 70% stock does seem a bit low, but I tried to think of a comparison between 100% VLT like a drinking glass and what 70% VLT would be and it makes it a bit more believable.
I just went with 50% instead of lower because being a young driver, I don't wanna risk being hassled by cops about it. I'll have pictures of my 50% all around in a few weeks and hopefully they'll be a good reference.

-East

#8 ·
Sweet, that should look great and be hassle-free from the MD police around here. Looks real good for a base model. Clean car.

#10 ·
I had heard they were strict about tints so that's why I went with 50% all around. I should be around a 35-40% VLT right now, a nice smoky look. 45% film should be a nice mid-step between dark and legal for you. haha

the place I went to only offered film in 50% 35% 20% and 5% so I was wishing they had something like a 45% or 40% between the legal and illegal but 50% is fine for me for now.

#12 ·
That'll work nicely, and the (illegally) tinted windshield will blend right in with the rest haha should be fine.

#13 ·
Seriously though, how does that work at night?

#16 ·
I meant the windshield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.