Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought 04 impala but only with 1 set of keys does it require a key with a special chip in it or can i just go to like ace hardware and make an extra key

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes i go to ACE for my car keys..Get two more made..put it where you can see it..if you lose the others , get it copied DO NOT go with only one key

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think it has a chipped key. If the key you have that starts the car doesnt have the chip in it , a regular made key at ace hardware should work. I think GM did away with those type of security systems in the late 90`s.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If its anything like our 2003 , the security feature is in the lock area , and not in the key itself .

There is a piece stationary with the electronics on it , and the piece in the lock cylinder that turns with the key . Pull cylinder out and you can't start the car .

We have a regular key from a hardware store that works fine .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes It Has a chip kinda

Your car such as my 02 has something called GM passlock II which reads resistance on the key when it is turned to the crank position. Using a key that has no resistance will not allow the car to start.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your car such as my 02 has something called GM passlock II which reads resistance on the key when it is turned to the crank position. Using a key that has no resistance will not allow the car to start.
Take the tumblers out of the ignition , and any piece of metal will start the car . I know ............... damn lock cylinder failed one night , and I DO NOT call the tow truck :biggrin:

Try it , it works !!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar issue. My 05 i bought a few weeks ago didnt come with the original key. Some sort of hardware store key without a resistor from what i can see. Car started and ran fine up until a few days ago. No it flat out won't start/crank. You start it from the starter and it kills itself after a second or 2. Definitely security system. Am having trouble locating the correct resistance for the original key. Been told by a few people to bypass the system using the correct ohm resistor but obviously i do not know the correct resistance. Any suggestions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts