Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So having recently earned my ham radio license, I decided it was time to install a mobile radio in my car. Long story short I ended up tinkering longer than I should with the car off / battery being drained. Tried to start, dead battery. Put the handy dandy jump box on it, started it and went for a drive to test new radio and recharge battery. Coming to a stop at the end of my street it felt like I was going over rumble strips, right as the car dropped to around 20 mph. I recognized this as the DoD shudder everyone talks about, issue is, I've never experienced it before. I've been pretty lucky as far as SS's go, I've had 2 tranny solenoids replaced, the ISS and the steering rack. Doesn't use any noticeable amount of Amsoil between 10-15k mi changes. Just rolled over to 80,000 miles.

Question is, what in the world could have caused the shudder to start so suddenly after experiencing a battery drain, and what if anything can I do about it?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Did you disconnect the batter when installing? :hope:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I disconnected the chargeguard so all the other electronics wouldn't be powered, but I didn't think it would take as long as it did, so I listen to music, charged phone, etc. etc. Project just took way longer than I'd planned. Gonna try pulling the battery cable today and let it sit for a bit and see if I just corrupted some PCM values somewhere by letting it slow drain.

Other ideas definitely welcome!.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll go buy a charger and give that a shot. It's a red top battery, less than 2 years old. I'd hope it could survive one oops moment LOL I used to kill the yellow top in my police intrepid on a monthly basis cuz we were too cheap to install chargeguards :-D

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Like Ej said, the alternator won't charge the battery, it's only meant to keep everything running. I would be willing to bet the problem will clear up with a good charge.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As an update, I yanked the negative battery cable, let it sit for 10 mins or so, reconnected. Went for a drive, everything was back to normal. Still need to get my hands on a decent battery charger, but it seems it charged enough to start without issues.

Not sure what the root cause of the DoD shudder is, but apparently it is at least somewhat electronic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts