1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Do stay away from that scam. Did anyone notice that there is not a 97-99 Impala? The article lists those years but there is no cars for them years.

True performance come from having your PCM reprogramed, not adding that junk.

Those junks are usually nothing more than a diode or resister that you install to give the PCM an altered reading, most of them will throw the check engine light on the dash and your mechanic will remove the so called part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
96 Impala SS

I also see those adds on ebay and was told they are crap and so I see every one here agree. My question is where can I get a true performance chip for my '96 Impala SS ? I visited pcm4less. and they link me to other sites and theuy have many Imapala SS chips and those look good but are they ? And if they are which one should I buy ? Can any one direct me to a good performance chip, thanks much...

·
Registered
303 Posts
You're not getting it... there are no chips. You change performance by reprogramming your PCM.

For your '96, you have an OBD-II PCM. That means that it will cost more than the '94-5 cars to reprogram. You have options on how to do it, depending on which vendor you go with it. You will also have many options on parameters to change.

You can also do an OBD-I conversion to your car, like I did, which adapts the older PCM to work in your car. You have to buy a converted PCM but it is cheaper to program after that.

I used PCMPerformance.com and was very happy with them.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Or you could get a DHPTuner or PowerTuner.

·
Registered
55 Posts
chip

junk, crap, what ever you want to call them.

the "chip" is just a resister glued in a little black box that tricks the ECM into running lean.
lean =s so called better MPGs and a little more snap =s bad for engine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts