Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 96 Caprice police car last september, and it had Pontiac Bonneville seats in there.... Just this weekend i bought a full set of Impala ss seats, Grey, from a 96 impala...

the back seat went in with no problem at all...
i put the passenger seat in and it didnt bolt up...
the back 4 bolts lined up perfectly, but the front 2 bolts were off.... and vice versa... i put the front 2 bolts on, then the back bolts didnt line up...

pretty much my question is this... do you have to do any mods to make the bonny seats fit in the caprice...

i dont know why my impala ss seats are not bolting up correctly...

·
Registered
284 Posts
It’s been a few years since I’ve messed with seat mods but, I can’t think of any reason the Impala seats aren’t bolting up correctly. Got a pic that might help out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
First, I don't think that the admin is going to be too happy about you posting the same exact thing in three different groups. Pick one and wait for an answer.

Impala SS seats will bolt right into in an unmodified Caprice (unless you have a true bench seat, in which case, you will be missing the middle two sets of mounting studs). Impala and Caprice are the same car with different options.

Bonneville seats into a Caprice require modication of the mounting studs, the Bonneville or Caprice tracks [depending on what was used] or an adapter. The spacing is a little different and most people want to move Bonnies back about two inches or so.

If you have removed the Bonnies and any adapters and are looking at bare floor pan with some studs sticking up and the SS seats do not line up, then someone modified the floor pan/studs. You can take it somewhere and have it corrected [recommended] or fabricate an adapter or cut off [or maybe hammer out] the studs you wish change and weld in new ones. If you don't have access to a welder, you can drill holes in the floor pan, buy some bolts and nuts [recommend grade 8] and make up some plates to bolt through. You don't want the bolts to pull out of the floor in case of an accident. [I have used a regular washer, then a smaller fender washer, and then a larger fender washer on other cars where I installed custom seats.] You will want to seal up everything on the underside of car. I recommend RTV between pan and the washers and some undercoating spray over everything when done.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
u have to remember that if ur car is a true 9c1 the passenger seat is moved over towards the door to fit a police issure center console so this might be your problem let us know

·
Registered
303 Posts
u have to remember that if ur car is a true 9c1 the passenger seat is moved over towards the door to fit a police issure center console so this might be your problem let us know
That's interesting... never heard that before. I had a '91 9C1 and replaced the interior with one from a '94 Caprice LS and didn't notice any difference in mounting position. The space between the 60 and 40 seats didn't seem any different than other cars. I believe that the later 9C1s with bucket seats had different seats not used on other models.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
That's interesting... never heard that before. I had a '91 9C1 and replaced the interior with one from a '94 Caprice LS and didn't notice any difference in mounting position. The space between the 60 and 40 seats didn't seem any different than other cars. I believe that the later 9C1s with bucket seats had different seats not used on other models.
im not sure about the 91 thru 93 caprices since they were really wierd

im just speaking for the 94 thru 96 i found this info on wickepedia maybe???

but how i know its true is that if u have a passenger in my car ( 95 9c1 )and they try to adjust the seat u have to open the door to get to it because its such a tight squeeze and on my side its fine so thats where i confirmed it

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey man, thanks for the quick response....This is why i love this website... always find out what u need done... but sorry about posting the same thing in 3 different categories. I just didnt know what category this would be considered.

Yes, it looks like that he did cut the stock studs off, and make a crappy weld plate and moved it about 2-3 inches towards the back of the car... he did this on all 4 front bolts... 2 driver, 2 passenger... this is absolutely insane that i have to do this.. its really getting under my skin.... but what im going to do is the old bolt trick... i dont have any welders around here, and i sure dont want to pay $200 for someone to do it... im just going to have to fabricate the seats, put the back 2 and side bolts in, then trace the insides of the front with a marker and drill them out...

but i dont mean to annoy anyone so sorry about that... but i have a few questions to your response...

1. The bolts and washers you recomend me use, can i just go to a home depot, or lowes, and tell them what i need... will they have it?

2. How do i get this weld plate out of here that he welded in?

3. is there a way to move the power seats back, without them being hooked up to a switch or power ran to them?? i dont have the ss power switch bezels on my doors yet.

4. what is RVT?? are you referring to a silicone gasket sealer of some sort? If so, will that be strong enough to keep the bolts up or should i a JB weld on the underneath part of the car?

5. What does undercoating spray do?? do i spray it on the bottom of the bolts and tops? what is the purpose?

Below is a picture of what im working with... just on the passenger side...

like i said, sorry for all the questions and me annoying you... i really appriciate the help man

·
Registered
303 Posts
You are going to need a grinder to grind off the welds and a BFH (big freaking hammer) and maybe a chisel to actually get those plates out of there.

Let me suggest two other possibilities.

- Fabricate an adapter to bolt over the moved studs to get the correct alignment for the SS seats. It would only raise the seat an inch or so, and be a whole lot less work.

- Keep the Bonnies... sort of. I am assuming that you are getting rid of the Bonnies because they are the wrong color. Sell the Bonnies and the SS front seats and get some gray Bonnies. [Many people ditch the SS seats in favor of the Bonnies because the Bonnies are much more comfortable.] If you do a search on "that other forum", you will find lots of true SS's with grey Bonnies. If you want it to look more SS-like, take the upper seat skins to an upholsterer and get the SS and/or Impala logos embroidered into the head rest.

Other questions...
You will have to make up some type of switch setup and get power from the underseat connections to make your seat move, if it's a power seat. The other suggestion would be to remove the power track from the seat and put a manual track from a regular Caprice on it. I think that any track from a '91-96 Caprice sedan/wagon (maybe even Roadmaster) 60/40 seat would work.

Bolts and washers can purchased at your local hardware store and probably even Lowes/Home Depot. I would suggest Grade 8 or at least stainless steel (not as good as grade 8 but better than the standard Grade 5 or even Grade 2 that they sell). You can get regular washers in Grade 8 or stainless steel, but fender washers will be the regular stuff. Take a trip down the hardware aisle and see what you find.

RVT should be RTV.... room temperature vulcanizing silicone... basically automotive silicone sealant.

I recommend undercoating whenever you put new hardware under the car, especially if you went through the floor pan. It keeps it from rusting and rusting the floor pan and just seals up better. It's just quick, easy, and cheap insurance if you live in the rust belt.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i hear you on that.... keeping the bonny seats in... but to be honest with you, i really don't like the look of them at all.... But every person in my car, including my girlfriend, says that the bonny seats are so damn comfortable. I myself think they are comfortable also, but like i said, i am in love with the ss seats....

I only paid $400 for the ss seats. The back seat, and passenger are in incredible shape, but the driver is all ripped and burn holed up. But just in the center. I was going to get the custom interior shop around my way to put a black stripe down the center of all the seats, and a black outlining around the impala logos..

so pretty much i would trade all of my bonny interior, plus the 01 Chevy blazer center console with frame I put in my car, for 1 nice driver seat in mint condition...

Id like to get my hands on a 94-95 Impala Center console for this thing... But people want like $5 and $600 for it...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Couple things, First those welds look like the tin man shit all over them. If you know someone that welds have them redone. In an accident your life might depend on them.
Second, are we talking about 12 way or 6 way Bonnies?

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
First, I don't think that the admin is going to be too happy about you posting the same exact thing in three different groups. Pick one and wait for an answer.

Impala SS seats will bolt right into in an unmodified Caprice (unless you have a true bench seat, in which case, you will be missing the middle two sets of mounting studs). Impala and Caprice are the same car with different options.

Bonneville seats into a Caprice require modication of the mounting studs, the Bonneville or Caprice tracks [depending on what was used] or an adapter. The spacing is a little different and most people want to move Bonnies back about two inches or so.

If you have removed the Bonnies and any adapters and are looking at bare floor pan with some studs sticking up and the SS seats do not line up, then someone modified the floor pan/studs. You can take it somewhere and have it corrected [recommended] or fabricate an adapter or cut off [or maybe hammer out] the studs you wish change and weld in new ones. If you don't have access to a welder, you can drill holes in the floor pan, buy some bolts and nuts [recommend grade 8] and make up some plates to bolt through. You don't want the bolts to pull out of the floor in case of an accident. [I have used a regular washer, then a smaller fender washer, and then a larger fender washer on other cars where I installed custom seats.] You will want to seal up everything on the underside of car. I recommend RTV between pan and the washers and some undercoating spray over everything when done.
There is NO need to modify the studs, when swapping to bonny seats you simply pull out the old seats, remove the tracks, line up old tracks with bonny seats,drill holes to match the bonny locations then mount the track to them and your done. Takes 30 minutes tops.

Dude....your WAYYYY to hiped up on this whole 9C1 thing. 9C1 is cool but its not a super car with super diff. options. The seats are the same, no diff mounting location for studs due to command console. All consoles for the cop cars are built on a universal mounting plate for the caprice/crown vic and simply adjust to the front mounting bolts. The SUVS and chargers have their own type console due to the weird shape that does not match with other cars.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you mean that I am way to hyped about the 9c1 thing??? if so what are you talking about? Why would that be a bad thing that i want to fix her up?

There is NO need to modify the studs, when swapping to bonny seats you simply pull out the old seats, remove the tracks, line up old tracks with bonny seats,drill holes to match the bonny locations then mount the track to them and your done. Takes 30 minutes tops.

Dude....your WAYYYY to hiped up on this whole 9C1 thing. 9C1 is cool but its not a super car with super diff. options. The seats are the same, no diff mounting location for studs due to command console. All consoles for the cop cars are built on a universal mounting plate for the caprice/crown vic and simply adjust to the front mounting bolts. The SUVS and chargers have their own type console due to the weird shape that does not match with other cars.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hahaaaaa... thats funny... the tin man shit all over them... that is what it looks like... good thing i didnt do it... thats why i do not weld lol

I think that they are 6 way bonny seats... but possibly 12... whats the difference?

Couple things, First those welds look like the tin man shit all over them. If you know someone that welds have them redone. In an accident your life might depend on them.
Second, are we talking about 12 way or 6 way Bonnies?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Do you mean that I am way to hyped about the 9c1 thing??? if so what are you talking about? Why would that be a bad thing that i want to fix her up?
Re-read George Bates Automotive's post. He wasn't talking to you.

You are obsessed by all things SS. SS's were nice cars but no means had all the top parts out of the GM parts bins. You already have the seats that many SS owners have upgraded to and are not listening to others that tell you how good the Bonnie seats are. You bought some ratty SS seats and are going to spend a bunch of $$$ to have them fixed and installed. Go to that other forum (or maybe someone will help you out) and see what Bonnies look like with a nice logo embroidered on the head rest. In other words, you're ahead of the game now, don't take a step backward.

Also, you are looking for a nice console and finding out what people want for an actual SS console. To quote a funny commercial, most people wouldn't know an SS interior, "if sat in their laps and called them mama". Most people do recognize quality parts and there are lots of other choices out there. You can spend a lot of $$ and put all the actual SS parts on your 9C1, but without the WX3 legitimately on your SPID label you will never have an SS. For other consoles trying looking at Blazer or Riveria. I have seen some really nice consoles that put the stock SS console to shame.

If you put SS grille and rims on your car and have a nice sporty, luxury interior, most people will think it's an SS. [Many people that have seen SS's will tell you have much nicer interior... tell them you got the optional interior upgrade... lol.]

hahaaaaa... thats funny... the tin man shit all over them... that is what it looks like... good thing i didnt do it... thats why i do not weld lol
The welds look crappy but take the car to someone/shop that does welding and have them look at it and underneath and see if you got penetration. If you do, don't waste more money on something that will be covered up.

I think that they are 6 way bonny seats... but possibly 12... whats the difference?
Extra $$, if you decide to get rid of them.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
well not to burst your bubble ANGEl but i know im right ive seen that info on a couple of sights and i drive my car everyday with my passenger seat hitting the cubby hole on that side and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get ur hand between the seat to adjust it ( unless u have a lil kid hand )

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
well not to burst your bubble ANGEl but i know im right ive seen that info on a couple of sights and i drive my car everyday with my passenger seat hitting the cubby hole on that side and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get ur hand between the seat to adjust it ( unless u have a lil kid hand )

I guess everyone who gets info off wikipedia is a genius. I will shut up now and not say anything else since I must not know anything im talking about.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I guess everyone who gets info off wikipedia is a genius. I will shut up now and not say anything else since I must not know anything im talking about.
ya ill shut up too i mean ive only drove my 9c1 for a year now!!! idk to much about it :eek::biggrin:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea i am obsessed with all ss stuff... to be honest with you i really like the seats better then the bonny seats... i always did like the ss seats... the passenger and back ss seats are in great shape, its just the driver seat thats bad... So i paid $400 for my ss seats, witch around here ( south jersey / philadelphia area ) is an amazing price. All Salvage yards, or personal people that are parting their impala's out want between $600-$1000 for the front seats alone, and thats not them even in mint condition. It is insane what people want for this stuff up here.... I look at it like this, If i can get $200-$250 for my full bonny interior with 01 blazer console, or i can do a strait trade for a mint grey ss seat, then im at where i want to be.... only paying $200 for a mint set of ss seats...

People have different opinions about cars.... Everyone, and i really mean everyone, stops and tells me how good my car looks.... i have that Street trends shit all over this car... Cat eye grille and insert to the hood, street trends front bumper, street trends back bumper, street trends lowering springs.... they all love it... To be honest with you, I HATE THIS LOOK... I bought it this way cheap, knowing that people would want to buy all of that crap for good money, and i can buy stock ss stuff for it..

I just bought ss springs from an ss with 47k miles front and rear for $80...
2 people want my lowering springs for $250... so i take that $170 profit, and put it towards my front end suspension that i need parts for...

Someone will give me $400 for my hood... I buy a $200 2 inch Cowl hood with Impala Grill on it my friend is holding for me off his Roadmaster wagon... then make $200 off of that

I sell street trends front bumper and back bumper for $400 go rip off stock caprice bumpers at a pull it yard for $40 for the both.... take that and put it towards a paint job that my best friend is doing for $1000... He paints High end vehicles at his own body shop...im talking about brand new mercedes, porche, shit like that... I'll be getting a $6000 job too... not a bullshit lets get it done in 1 day job... every coat will be baked, and the car will really be treated, and prepped right... no candy paint bullshit... a nice metallic black... and this is pulling my engine, doing my engine bay, doing my trunk, doing my door jams, doing the floor and frame with entire interior out...

So its all what people like man ya know.... people want to put 38 inch rims on their impala's thats on them... to me it looks like total shit, but apparently people over the country love it like that... i dont know why, but they do

You are obsessed by all things SS. SS's were nice cars but no means had all the top parts out of the GM parts bins. You already have the seats that many SS owners have upgraded to and are not listening to others that tell you how good the Bonnie seats are. You bought some ratty SS seats and are going to spend a bunch of $$$ to have them fixed and installed. Go to that other forum (or maybe someone will help you out) and see what Bonnies look like with a nice logo embroidered on the head rest. In other words, you're ahead of the game now, don't take a step backward.

Also, you are looking for a nice console and finding out what people want for an actual SS console. To quote a funny commercial, most people wouldn't know an SS interior, "if sat in their laps and called them mama". Most people do recognize quality parts and there are lots of other choices out there. You can spend a lot of $$ and put all the actual SS parts on your 9C1, but without the WX3 legitimately on your SPID label you will never have an SS. For other consoles trying looking at Blazer or Riveria. I have seen some really nice consoles that put the stock SS console to shame.

If you put SS grille and rims on your car and have a nice sporty, luxury interior, most people will think it's an SS. [Many people that have seen SS's will tell you have much nicer interior... tell them you got the optional interior upgrade... lol.]

The welds look crappy but take the car to someone/shop that does welding and have them look at it and underneath and see if you got penetration. If you do, don't waste more money on something that will be covered up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
are you looking on buying them???

·
Registered
303 Posts
are you looking on buying them???
Short answer: not interested

Bonnies are nice, but my RMW seats are just fine for me. I have a lot of other things that I will be dropping $$ into before new seats. If they were already in my car, I wouldn't get rid of them though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts