Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Impala SS. It has about 108k miles and I don't think it has ever had the suspension serviced. I like the way it rides most of the time, but after driving a bunch of newer cars, I actually don't like it as much as I thought. When I hit bumps or pot holes in my 2011 Cruze, 2010 Hyundai Elantra(rental), or my girlfriend's 2015 Jeep Cherokee, the car only moves a little, but when I hit them in my Impala, it's like running over a speed bump(which are also not fun btw).

The biggest issue is that I can't go as fast as I would like on some roads, as they have large humps that seem to launch my car up and then it comes down hard. Don't have that problem on any of the other cars. It sounds like the shocks aren't dampening at all and the damper(i guess) is just smashing closed with no resistance.

Most people that I see posting about suspension on this forum have performance in mind, but I actually want luxury. I want a smooth ride, and I'm OK with not having awesome traction for hard accelerating. It is really sad when I can take a road at 10 mph faster in my Cruze Eco than my Impala.

I also read some stuff where people were arguing over brands of suspension. Do I get the taxi/police package or not? What brand and style would be best for what I want?

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your SS would have a hard suspension than the LS. The police/taxi would also have a beefed up suspension. If you want a smoother ride, LS is the way to go. More of a lofty, soft ride. Not 100% sure if u could change just the springs or maybe other parts might also have to be changed. Your body rolled will be increased also.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Here what I would do for your amazing SS; But double check the parts before you purchase. If you want to view the parts, they are pic's in my garage. You sway bars are fine, but there is a possibility to have them bigger. Except for the springs, the other items are available in Rockauto (look for discount code). Good luck!

Canuck M 1.8" and 1.6" drop sport springs(on a 2013 LT) 21-2721 KYB GR-2 Struts 339015/339148 KYB Front Lower Coil Spring Insulator SM5437 KYB Upper Lower Coil Spring Insulator SM5467 KYB Rear Lower Coil Spring Insulator SM5440 KYB Strut mount rear right SM5398 KYB Strut mount rear left SM5399 KYB Front Strut Mount (2) SM5568 MEVOTECH Rear Sway Bar Links (2) MK6662 MEVOTECH Front Sway Bar Links (2) MK5342

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
^^But would that make his ride "harder" or "softer"? He's looking for a softer ride - not a "performance" (harder) ride...

Sent from my HP SlateBook 10 x2 PC using Tapatalk

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
Sounds like what he needs are new shocks, not necessarily new springs.

The lower model suspension setups would not work with his SS, since he has the 18" wheels. He needs the FE3 suspension setup.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well, the KYB GR2's would work great and perform better with comfort to boot!

KYB # 339148 GR-2 / Excel-G
Rear; Except Police Car and Taxi

KYB # 339015 GR-2 / Excel-G
Front; Except Police Car and Taxi

AC Delco FE3's would also work great. Not sure if FE4's and FE5's are available for the SS, but they would be a hard ride.

Stay away from FE1 or FE2's

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
See I've always heard that FE1 is the *best* for comfort! FE2 being next best for comfort..... FE3 being worst for comfort, but best for performance.

·
Go Get It
15,083 Posts
^^which may be true, but again, FE1 or FE2 will rub on his tires

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I think KYB Quickstruts are the best option for 18" wheels. The suspension might be stiffer, but the struts will be much better than your current struts, which are nearly finished. I have the Monroe Quickstruts and the ride is good, but they're only for 16" or 17" wheels. Add the strut tower bars and don rome brackets to nearly eliminate body roll.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sounds like what he needs are new shocks, not necessarily new springs.
Exactly - compliance is tuned at the shock much more than the spring. A combination really - but the shock tuning is going to be the ticket here to a plush ride that still controls the body decently.

My 2007 SS has 120k miles on it, and I'll bet it's on the original struts - it doesn't have any bounce, but man is it soft. I came from a road and track package Dodge Charger to this car and wow, night and day - the Charger felt like a (4,200lbs) Miata compared to this thing. My LT feels much better than the SS - guess it's time to get some new suspension under the SS.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info guys, but this thread basically echos all of the threads that I have read on the subject. There doesn't seem to be a real, definitive answer, or even a close one.

I guess will pick one to try out. I am assuming that anything will be better than my 108k mile, 8 year old suspension. If the overall ride is a "little" harder, but doesn't result in that "slamming" sound/feeling from going over those broad humps, then I think I can live with it.

Here's where I am at now..

The only KYB Quick Struts that I found specifically say that they are not for the Impalas with 18" wheels. So I guess those are out. They are also like $160 each...

I am a little more excited that I can get all of the GR-2's for cheaper. This is the first site that I found them on. I will probably look around more before choosing a site to buy them.

"Canuck M 1.8" and 1.6" drop sport springs(on a 2013 LT) 21-2721 KYB GR-2 Struts 339015/339148 KYB Front Lower Coil Spring Insulator SM5437 KYB Upper Lower Coil Spring Insulator SM5467 KYB Rear Lower Coil Spring Insulator SM5440 KYB Strut mount rear right SM5398 KYB Strut mount rear left SM5399 KYB Front Strut Mount (2) SM5568 MEVOTECH Rear Sway Bar Links (2) MK6662 MEVOTECH Front Sway Bar Links (2) MK5342"

I am having a little difficulty making out what all of this stuff is... any way you can simplify, or at least break them up into separate lines? Also... I see things that seem to hint at a lowered ride height? I believe that sounds like the opposite of what I want, but I don't want to accidentally insult anyone, or make myself look any more ignorant here, so I'm just gonna hope someone else can explain it to me.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys, but this thread basically echos all of the threads that I have read on the subject. There doesn't seem to be a real, definitive answer, or even a close one.

I guess will pick one to try out. I am assuming that anything will be better than my 108k mile, 8 year old suspension. If the overall ride is a "little" harder, but doesn't result in that "slamming" sound/feeling from going over those broad humps, then I think I can live with it.

Here's where I am at now..

The only KYB Quick Struts that I found specifically say that they are not for the Impalas with 18" wheels. So I guess those are out. They are also like $160 each...

I am a little more excited that I can get all of the GR-2's for cheaper. This is the first site that I found them on. I will probably look around more before choosing a site to buy them.

"Canuck M 1.8" and 1.6" drop sport springs(on a 2013 LT) 21-2721- Explained below.
KYB GR-2 Struts 339015/339148- new struts for the springs.
KYB Front Lower Coil Spring Insulator- Image for the * below. Essentially all parts for the struts.
SM5437 KYB Front Lower Coil Spring Insulator*
SM5467 KYB Front Upper Coil Spring Insulator*
SM5440 KYB Rear Lower Coil Spring Insulator*
SB127 KYB Strut Boot Front*
SB128 KYB Strut Boot Rear*
SM5398 KYB Rear Strut Mount Left*
SM5399 KYB Rear Strut Mount Right*
SM5568 Front Mount, Seat, Bearing and Retainer* (2)
MK6662 Rear Stabilizer Bar Link Bushing (2)
MK5342 Front Stabilizer Bar Link Bushing (2)

I am having a little difficulty making out what all of this stuff is... any way you can simplify, or at least break them up into separate lines? Also... I see things that seem to hint at a lowered ride height? I believe that sounds like the opposite of what I want, but I don't want to accidentally insult anyone, or make myself look any more ignorant here, so I'm just gonna hope someone else can explain it to me.
Thanks again!
The lowering springs from SSC are said to give the car a softer ride compared to other springs. It is recommend by [email protected] to use the ones he helped design for the 97-03 Grand Prix's, they will fit the Impala's up to the end of the Limited's, which I believe is 2014 or 2015. The part no. is SSC p/n 24-5211 or Canuk p/n 2452.41100. I will explain the info above in bold.

Note: I changed a few of the part numbers as they were off someway or another.

Attachments

Reactions: ImpalaLFX13

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks a ton!

So I made a list on Amazon with all the parts that I need. Hopefully I didn't miss anything. The Canuck springs are not included, but I found them. Suspension upgrades are expensive.

I plan on trying to do this myself. If I can't find a good video of someone doing it on an Impala, is it safe to assume that a video on a different w-body car would be safe to go off of?

I think I am going to go ahead and flush the brake fluid, power steering fluid, and upgrade my brakes while I have the wheels off.

Hopefully it's easier to find info on a good, simple brake upgrade.
I'm off to browse the forums.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a 2006 Impala SS. It has about 108k miles and I don't think it has ever had the suspension serviced. I like the way it rides most of the time, but after driving a bunch of newer cars, I actually don't like it as much as I thought. When I hit bumps or pot holes in my 2011 Cruze, 2010 Hyundai Elantra(rental), or my girlfriend's 2015 Jeep Cherokee, the car only moves a little, but when I hit them in my Impala, it's like running over a speed bump(which are also not fun btw).

The biggest issue is that I can't go as fast as I would like on some roads, as they have large humps that seem to launch my car up and then it comes down hard. Don't have that problem on any of the other cars. It sounds like the shocks aren't dampening at all and the damper(i guess) is just smashing closed with no resistance.

Most people that I see posting about suspension on this forum have performance in mind, but I actually want luxury. I want a smooth ride, and I'm OK with not having awesome traction for hard accelerating. It is really sad when I can take a road at 10 mph faster in my Cruze Eco than my Impala.

I also read some stuff where people were arguing over brands of suspension. Do I get the taxi/police package or not? What brand and style would be best for what I want?

Thanks
for a softer ride, I'd look at the buick w-body V8 springs and shocks. forget what they called that model...

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I think its the Buick Lucerne (although, I thought that was a 3.8L V6)? That's a very good point though, with my love of the Buick ride, I should look into doing that with my Impala! Would love to have a Buick-like ride in my Impala!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think its the Buick Lucerne (although, I thought that was a 3.8L V6)? That's a very good point though, with my love of the Buick ride, I should look into doing that with my Impala! Would love to have a Buick-like ride in my Impala!!

yeah, the 2007-8 lucerne with a V8. you would want the shocks/springs from those years or last year of the buick W-body with a V6. I think 2012 buick lucerne jumped to a new platform, probably same as caddy ATS.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

Don't the Monte Carlo SS models have an FE4 suspension?

Is FE4 stiffer than the FE3 in the Impala SS models?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts