Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...classic ls brougham, 76k? My car turns over a lot before it starts and sometimes I have to turn the key back and try again. If I wait about 5 to 10 seconds, it usually starts right up but sometimes it still doesn't. I changed the fuel filter which is in the carb, but that didn't work. It did help with another problem though which is when I press on the gas from a complete stop the car stalls slightly before taking off. The fuel filter did help with this problem although not completely eliminating it. I changed the plugs & wires & distributor cap. Didn't work. Also loses power when going up a hill at about 40mph. I believe it's 3rd gear. I have to press the gas down further to regain rpm's and speed. It really is a great riding car I just don't want to keep spending money and not getting any results. Sorry for the wordy question just trying to get all the details in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the answers people, wow, that was fast. I wasn't expecting anything until at least tomorrow. No O2 change. I have one of the best carb guys around within walking distance of my house Benchwick Carb service. Maybe you've heard of them, maybe not. He looked at it and told me that it looked good but he did offer to rebuild it for a reasonable price because I live in the neighborhood. I will take him up on the offer thanks to you guys. I will though, before going to him take it to be put on a diagnostic beforehand just to be sure. Oh, I forgot to mention 1 thing. Sometimes, when it;s been sitting for a while (because I try not to drive it much) when I let it run and turn it off it doesn't turn all the way off. It kind of sputters or something and when I turn the key back on it runs as if I never tried to turn it off. Not backfiring, just like "coughing" when I try to turn it off. I've changed the octane fuel to premium after a friend's suggestion. Thanks a lot.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sounds like it`s time to have the carb rebuilt. The choke may not be set properly and it sounds like the accelerator pump may not be working up to par when you step on the gas. It is 20 years old and if has not been done then now would be a good time to do it if the car is in good shape. You can have it rebuilt professionally or just buy a rebuilt carb.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
L S sounds like he's having the same issues I'm having. But what I just need to know, since I'm going to be replacing the fuel sending unit completely is...

Do I need to have an electric fuel pump for a 1987 Chevy Caprice LS Brougham Edition? I was told I didn't have one, but I'm not too tech savvy on my car....YET. :) Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

6 Posts
I'm getting ready to replace my fuel sending unit for my 1987 Chevy Caprice LS Brougham Edition and I needed to know if I'm gonna need an electric fuel pump for it or not. Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,775 Posts
This thread is 6 years dead , but welcome to the forum :beer:

6 Posts
This thread is 6 years dead , but welcome to the forum :beer:

Bad Bones, thanks! Appreciate the welcome.

I'm a relatively new owner to the Caprice line. My first Caprice was an 85 that died on me and I was given my current Caprice, an 87 Brougham LS, which I love!

I just recently replaced the fuel sending unit in the hopes that it was just that part that was causing my gas gauge in the front of the car to misread how much fuel I had. But, however, after changing out the sending unit, my gas gauge still doesn't read the fuel level, but my gauge fuse under the dash is still intact.

If you or anyone who's had this issue before can help me, I would greatly appreciate any experienced advice and suggestions. :eek:k3:

I get funny looks from people (except my auto parts sales associates) when I go to my local auto parts shop to buy parts and such. I take pride in working on my own car and I'm really wanting to get her back up to her previous glory and all and any help is appreciated.

Tiffany

·
Super Moderator
10,775 Posts
Hi Tif , my gas gauge is probably 80 % accurate. Once when my tank was low I turned a corner really fast and the needle spun right around. It stayed that was for a few days, After filling the tank the float seemed to un-stick , but I never let it get too low anymore.

·
Super Moderator
10,775 Posts
PS.... love a girl who works on her oun car :eek:k3:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts