Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall a month ago when it was not fking cold as hell outside my car did not sound like a charger/mustang was bit tamed and did not have that rumble in it. Now when its constant cold outside even at idle it sounds bit louder.. is that normal characteristic of a v6? Or i need to get the engine looked at ? Maybe its cause of missing bumper i hear it bit more but even the muffler sounds bit louder as if it was a muscle car which it clearly is not .. right ? it's a 07 LS.

·
Registered
285 Posts
louder

I know nothing of accoustics, so I am not going to answer that one, however I am going to talk about something that may answer your question. You said you car sounds louder during the cold weather. Let's go real basic here. Does it seem your car runs and sounds better when it's cold? You may not be imagining it. This is what racing is all about. Let's just go with the basics to start. When it's colder, the air is more dense because the molecues are closer together. The more oxegen, the power you have. People should ALWAYS pay attention to how there car runs. I hear people say, man, for some reason my car was running great today, in that sweet spot. I immediately ask if they paid attention to the weather? The barometer, the temperature? It matters. Your car is telling you it's tuning needs. You just need to listen to your car when it's talking to you. Just some thoughts.

Jeff

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It matters. Your car is telling you it's tuning needs. You just need to listen to your car when it's talking to you. Just some thoughts.

Jeff
I am not sure jeff, how i can tune a car; kinda a nub when it comes to cars and almost every other thing too i guess :dizzy:.

But its always extremely cold here in winter lets say below -10C any time you fire up the engine. I am not sure if its the engine that sounds louder but i think i noticed the muffler having bit louder rumble to it. I have never actually put pedal to the metal to test its acceleration but it seems to have significant pickup when needed and when road conditions allow.

The sound is great but never noticed it in warmer temperature in summer time, was always like a quite idle.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
That why everyone buys cold air intakes and i spent over $500 custom making a cold air intake. Colder temps can give non forced induction cars around 10hp.

I am not saying cold air intakes do i am saying between mid summer and mid winter you can expect about 10hp more in winter.

But you might wanna get you headers checked. You got into that front end accident and it could have broken or bent your headers which is making your car sound louder.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
My car has always sounded louder when cold and I definitely do not have an exhaust leak. I am surprised its the first time you have heard it loud, considering you are from Canada.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car has always sounded louder when cold and I definitely do not have an exhaust leak. I am surprised its the first time you have heard it loud, considering you are from Canada.
I had a neon before sheesh i did not care how it sounded and this is the first winter with my imp.

I will make sure headers are not bent and ask the shop to check for that, might as well ask them why my car has a wobble when idling as if engine is about to come off its mount.

·
Premium Member
10,732 Posts
when your ears are colder, everything sounds louder. No joke here.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
True. It's science.

Edit: come to think of it, this makes a lot of sense. I was wondering why girls weren't swooning while I was flooring around in my impala being loud and obnoxious before it warmed up. Apparently I was the only wet one.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
True. It's science.

Edit: come to think of it, this makes a lot of sense. I was wondering why girls weren't swooning while I was flooring around in my impala being loud and obnoxious before it warmed up. Apparently I was the only wet one.

Maybe it work better if you were not hanging out with the ugly ones maybe ? With an imp. you should be hanging out with the hot ones instead.

@TSS No idea where that is mentioned. But if someone says it on the web it must be true.

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
There are a lot of things going on that can contribute to the car actually being louder or even just sounding louder, some of them related to the car and some just physics like cold air is denser and sound travels more easily through the tightly packed air. If you have ever been in COLD temps without snowcover it is amazing how much farther and crisper sound travels.

Muffler filling up with ice could make it less effective.

It generally takes more rpm to keep a cold engine idling so the idle is raised this time of year .

Lots and lots of things going on.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lots and lots of things going on.
So its almost like its normal than is what i am understanding nothing too serious happening ? And i was like maybe my car is turning out to be a muscle car :idea:

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
Well we can't hear it from our computers and a video is unlikely to really let us hear anything but all the usually sounds just being a little louder would not worry me.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well we can't hear it from our computers and a video is unlikely to really let us hear anything but all the usually sounds just being a little louder would not worry me.
It would worry me if it exceeds the noise db level might have to get a decibel meter or something :idea:

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
True. It's science.

:giggle:

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
I will vote yes for louder during cold months. Air is not as thick as it is during warm or hot days, so sound tends to travel freely during these times. However, being that you are having some issues with your car, id address that first just to make sure that hopefully your conclusion to your question is scientific, and not mechanical.:beer:

·
Registered
545 Posts
when cold stuff is louder. the denali is freaking retarded loud on start up then goes almost silent as exhaust gets hot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts