Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 94 impala ss and differential is going out. brought to a shop and they said i am looking at $1600 just in parts. trying to find a used one at a yard but not real sure what's compatible. i've gone and looked at some but they end up being out of a caprice. help appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
997 Posts
$1,600 in parts, yikes. Sounds like the only thing worth saving is the housing. Does sound a bit steep though... I replaced everything in the axle of my 96 Caprice 9C1 except the axle shafts, and it was about $700-$800 in parts.

You can get an 8.5" axle out of any 91-96 Sedan, and it will physically fit. The disc brake setup, can be swapped to any sedan 8.5" axle of the era.

They came in two widths. The Impala SS, and 93-96 Civi Caprice sedan used the wider housing. The rest, used a housing that was slightly more narrow, so the axle shafts are different. Roadmaster sedan, 91/92 Caprice Sedans, and 91-96 Caprice 9C1's.

Then you have the issue of different gear ratios. For 94-96, only the Impala SS / LT1 Caprice 9C1 used 3.08's. The L99 Caprice 9C1's used 3.23. Posi was optional on the 9C1's, standard on the SS. Roadmaster sedan / Caprice sedans the the towing package, used 2.93 Posi(standard). Roadmaster sedans without it used 2.56, posi optional.

Then when you go older(91-93), they used 3.08 on the Towing package / performance sedans(like the Roadmaster/ LTZ Caprice). Some of the 91-93 Caprice 9C1's used 3.42's. I pulled a 92 9C1's axle that was 3.42 posi. Replacing bearings/seals to put it in one of my Roadmasters, and swapping on the disc set up to it, more for looks than braking. The disc setup from the factory was crap. GM used the same proportioning valve for drum/disc rears, and that caused the disc brakes to SUCK out back.

So to sum things up, check the SPID sticker for the gear ratio code at the junkyard, and you might stumble on a 3.08 or better(3.23, 3.42) rear axle. i would not worry about the width difference, unless you HAVE to have the stock SS rim lip right at the fender lip, or have rims that have a tight clearance to the frame. But even then, you are still taking a gamble that the axle you pull needs bearings, seals, and possible axle shafts.

Personally, I would take the car to a 2nd shop. One that specializes in rear axles, and see what they say. The only way to know it really needs axle shafts, is to pull them out and look. Even ones that are silent, might have a ridge worn into them. GM used the wrong gasket from the factory, which staved the outer axle bearings for lube.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. hoping to get lucky and find a 3.42. using torque thrust wheels. would there be an issue in clearance? and can i find out what gears it has by getting VIN? much appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nevermind on clearance and gears. going to bring to another shop. no luck finding one locally anyway. thanks again.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Check the SPID tag on the underside of the trunk deck, assuming the trunk deck, or axle has not be swapped. The axle codes are Gxx.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I ordered new axle shafts for my Impala and I am really confused now. :dunno: When I put them in the housing they didn't go in far enough to put the c-clip on... I am not sure why they wouldn't work. I bought new 3.73 gears and an Eaton posi also. Everything is set in place and now I'm stuck with this problem. What am I doing wrong?? :WTF:

·
Registered
624 Posts
iirc on the axle tube itself there's code code number on it,could call the dealers and ask or maybe post it and someone can translate it,

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Fuzzy, if you read the first part of mrbuicks post, he mentions 2 different rear end widths, the SS and civilian caprices being the wider. I would assume off hand that you got axles for a 9c1 or roadmaster rear end.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
It's a 94 SS which means that it probably has the wider rear end.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I ordered new axle shafts for my Impala and I am really confused now. :dunno: When I put them in the housing they didn't go in far enough to put the c-clip on... I am not sure why they wouldn't work. I bought new 3.73 gears and an Eaton posi also. Everything is set in place and now I'm stuck with this problem. What am I doing wrong?? :WTF:
You ended up with he wrong axle shafts. There are two lengths for sedans.

·
Registered
418 Posts
How long is the axle shaft for the Impala rear end then? I believe I read 30-7/16" and that is what I ordered. If that is the case it's not the first time Autozone has screwed up with getting parts for a 9c1 and not the Impala. I took them back and went onto Summit and ordered one from there, hopefully they can do something right. I have everything set and ready to put back on the car but now I'm sitting around waiting on it to get shipped out... The one bad part about the Impala, no one stocks parts specifically for it and everyone assumes the Caprice is the same in every way. Parts stores have trouble finding or believing me that there is such thing as a RWD Impala. :gaah:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update. went to uneedapart.com. got 2 quotes. one was for $990 and another for $1350! WOW! pretty much given up. may end up shelling out close to 2g's on this. before i do tho....do they sell reman's?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts