Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe nobody has started a thread like this. I think it will be very helpful too many people whether new or seasoned vets. Your post does NOT have to be technical at all. Please share anything you think might be helpful or interesting to a DIY guy.

Rules:

- Must be GM (General Motors) related
- Must be helpful/informative
- Please no off topic discussion (that is what the off-topic section is for)

I will start things off

Did you know that if you disconnect your positive and negative battery cables, your car will continue to run? Many average joe's think this will kill a runaway (ignition stuck) vehicle but, it will NOT.

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
I did know that.
Used to be the way ( up till the early 90's at least ) to check if you had a bad battery or bad alt. ( if you did not have a meter ) .
Start/boost the car and then un-hook one cable. Car keeps running battery is pooched, car stops, alternator pooched.
HOWEVER
I don't think I would try that with the newer cars.
The battery is in there as kind of a filter/spike protector and damage to the ecm/bcm may occur.
At least that's my thought on it.
Still a great/easy test for the older cars.

Did you know that:
If you change brake hoses/calipers and you "anneal" the new copper washers (or even the old ones ) straight out of the box that they will seal a lot easier with not having to over tighten the banjo fitting bolts. ?
Copper "work hardens" and if you anneal them they get soft again. Good for copper oil pan plug gaskets as well.

P

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Care to explain what anneal means? I could google it but I would rather an explanation from someone that knows what they are talking about and not some random google scrub.

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Heat it until it glows cherry red and then plunge it into cold water. Makes it soft again.
( your right there is a whole scientific explanation about metallurgy etc. but I too glaze over).

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
In highschool auto class, my teacher told us disconnecting the battery on a running vehicle was a very bad idea. The analogy he used was interesting, "ever take a piss and try to pinch it off midstream?". He believed it would cause potential harm to any vehicle, new or old. Granted I have done it on a couple older vehicles in the past, but they weren't my cars lol.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In highschool auto class, my teacher told us disconnecting the battery on a running vehicle was a very bad idea. The analogy he used was interesting, "ever take a piss and try to pinch it off midstream?". He believed it would cause potential harm to any vehicle, new or old. Granted I have done it on a couple older vehicles in the past, but they weren't my cars lol.

Hmm never heard that before. On nitro methane r/c cars you kill the engine by plugging the exhaust or pinching the fuel line.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Heat it until it glows cherry red and then plunge it into cold water. Makes it soft again.
( your right there is a whole scientific explanation about metallurgy etc. but I too glaze over).
what ur talking about is call tempering and quenching
annealing is usually done in a furnace and u leave the part inside until it cool off which can take a couple of days

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wiki is best! They both sound like the same concept to me. Maybe annealing doesn't use water to cool but, just the ambient air? Either way they are very similar if you ask me.

Annealing (metallurgy) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ur right annealing doesnt use water i was coming back to the site to say that im not trying to say anyone is wrong just im a welding inspector and we do does thing to metal all the time thats all

SORRY I WASN'T TRYING TO STEP ON ANY ONE TOES

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I wasn't trying to prove anyone wrong I just wanted to provide some insight. Wiki goes along way but, be careful as anyone can edit/change info.

All is good guys :eek:k3:

This thread was created for informative reasons and not to diss or be rude to anyone. Follow this rule and everyone will be happy.

Anyone else with more info? Even if you think its common sense it may not be to some people. New members will really appreciate this thread at some point in time.

Your a weld inspector? Sweet. What does your job entail? I work on a robotic mig welder at my work and have been for about 16months now. I load parts into a fixture but, I have picked up quite a bit of information about welding. Crazy fact: My machine does so much welding that I have to change the copper tips every 2hrs sometimes less time, and clean the nozzles every 45min or so even though, the machines have reamers that clean them auto. We have 55gallon barrels filled with used copper tips every couple months. My machine has 3 robotic 480v mig welders. We go though so much wire that they come in 2ftx2ftx4ft boxes on skids, one for each welder.

·
Registered
24 Posts
yeah welding is pretty cool stuff u can do all types of stuff with i did for the last 10 years but im not welding now i inspect i make the are done in code and look like it should

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what r u welding on car parts ?
and ur machine does it throw alot of buckshot / spatter
My specific machine welds seat frames for dodge rams (yeah i know). And yes a bunch of spatter. MY containment (checks parts) has an ingersoll rand die grinder and putty knives for chipping spatter off. Most of the spatter ends up on the floor which we have to scrape off and sweep up every night. The spatter that ends up on the parts is from the fixtures though. At the beginning of my shift every day I coat the fixture with black magic and that helps alot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My specific machine welds seat frames for dodge rams (yeah i know). And yes a bunch of spatter. MY containment (checks parts) has an ingersoll rand die grinder and putty knives for chipping spatter off. Most of the spatter ends up on the floor which we have to scrape off and sweep up every night. The spatter that ends up on the parts is from the fixtures though. At the beginning of my shift every day I coat the fixture with black magic and that helps alot.

They something called anti spatter that works pretty good u spray the part before the welding is start and the buckshot usually come off with the past of a hand

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
I have used this process a number of times and have always been told it was to Anneal it so ,,,,,,,,,,

I have always used water to cool it and it appears that in the cases of non-ferrous metals this is an accepted procedure.
In any event it works very well.

Annealing,

In the cases of Copper,Steel Silver or Brass this process is performed by substantially heating the material (generally until glowing) for a while and allowing it to cool. Unlike ferrous metals—which must be cooled slowly to anneal—copper, silver and brass can be cooled slowly in air or quickly by quenching in water. In this fashion the metal is softened and prepared for further work such as shaping, stamping, or forming.

FWIW.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have used this process a number of times and have always been told it was to Anneal it so ,,,,,,,,,,

I have always used water to cool it and it appears that in the cases of non-ferrous metals this is an accepted procedure.
In any event it works very well.

Annealing,

In the cases of Copper,Steel Silver or Brass this process is performed by substantially heating the material (generally until glowing) for a while and allowing it to cool. Unlike ferrous metals—which must be cooled slowly to anneal—copper, silver and brass can be cooled slowly in air or quickly by quenching in water. In this fashion the metal is softened and prepared for further work such as shaping, stamping, or forming.

FWIW.
thats y i said sorry when i realize u were talking brass not carbon steel

1 - 20 of 142 Posts