Impala Forums banner

Did I make a HORRIBLE decision?

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Crime Scene 
#1 ·
So on Saturday I finally bought a new car after having a 97 cav for four years that I ended up losing completely in a fire

I bought a 2009 Impala

But

It has 130k mileage, I know that's a lot but my family convince me that since its newer it's probably been services when needed

Also it looks extremely clean

I took my family's advice and got it but now am second guessing, there's no issues that would make me feel this way
But what do you guys think, did I make a horrible decision?

#2 ·
"since its newer it's probably been services when needed"

That might be a bad assumption....but if everything is working & all the fluids look and smell as they should you might be OK. Myself, I would have all fluids & filters changed just so you have a good starting point to maintain from.

#3 ·
I'll look into that right away then

I just keep worrying about it, anyway you put it 130k is an insane amount for a 3-4 year old
Vehicle..

I guess when I had my family there (one of them is pretty familiar with cars, always working reading up on them).. I told them the mileage and they said not to worry about it and give the car a ride and see how it feels..

It rode incredibly smooth and look fairly good.. A tiny dent hear an there, under the hood looked good

I'm stressing over here though and just keep rethinking that I made an awful decision, actually keeping me late.. Seriously lol

#4 ·
anyway you put it 130k is an insane amount for a 3-4 year old
Vehicle..l
Highway miles add up quick!

Believe me or not.
I had a job in 2000 that was all driving.
7 days a week.
300-500mi./ day :dizzy:

I put 92,000 on a Brand New Daewoo in 11 months.
Of course I did scheduled maintenance EVERY payday.
Never had a single issue... Until I hit a cow. :bang:

#6 ·
Agree with the above. Change all the fluids and all the filters (oil, air filter, cabin air filter, etc). And change, but DO NOT FLUSH, the tranny fuid.

How muchdid you pay for it?

I would not get tweaked yet. 130K is not outrageous. :)

#8 ·
That is absolutely true. ^^

#10 ·
mileage is not the issue it once was, and today trannies are FAR bigger concerns than engines.
Almost all traditional engines put in vehicles these days are fine well beyond 200K. The standout exception I would be concerned with is the Furd Ecoboost V6s in large vehicles. Even in their "simulated" 150K miles it was damaged and they played it up as having held up well. Little engines in big vehicles wears out engines.

#13 ·
The standout exception I would be concerned with is the Furd Ecoboost V6s in large vehicles. Even in their "simulated" 150K miles it was damaged and they played it up as having held up well. Little engines in big vehicles wears out engines.
Dwayne: I don't like the sound of that. Are you talking about the 3.5 Eco in the SHO/MKS or one of the smaller ecos? I had not heard of any issues or failures with the 3.5 Eco in passenger cars when I researched - but I did not look into the application in trucks....link? or can you tell me more? This concerns me....

And OP, I know lights on the dash are not comforting, but honestly, sounds like all are sensors and not huge deals as long as you got a good price on the car.

#11 ·
I'm kicking myself

3 lights in total have gone on since I got it last Saturday

ABS LIGHT

TIRE PRESSURE SYSTEM IN THE RIGHT REAR

TRACTION SYSTEM LIGHT

going in to dealership today, no warranty though :/

I'm a full time college student but work part time

I'm very nervous

#12 ·
Check for low tire pressure and other could be speed sensor issue on the abs/traction system.

#15 ·
Chi_bears, even though you may be out of warranty I am always happy to explore next steps with you at any point in the process! For instance, I can check for any open recalls that may be on your Impala, contact your dealership to address any concerns you may have post-visit, etc. Direct message me for further assistance!

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

#16 ·
TSS referencing the marketing tests they did with the trucks. I wouldn't worry about it too much in the cars.

To the OP, when you get a block of codes like that it is best to stop and consider what could possibly cause them all with one issue.

A low tire is "shorter" and covers less ground per revolution than a full tire which sends a different pulse count to the ABS which is also an important part of the traction control.

I would have been checking the tire pressure before anything else.

#17 ·
Very good point for OPs issue.

And thx for the follow up info for me.

#20 ·
Bought from the dealer or from a private party?

I bought my truck used from a dealer 6 days later the tranny blew on Thanksgiving weekend during deer season 120miles from home in northern Wisconsin. The gas station I limped it too and I were both making a LOT of calls before we even found someone with a wrecker to answer the phone much less had a way to get the truck my wife, our baby in a carseat and myself home.

I had some issues with the dealer and found out they had "rebuilt" the tranny twice in the past 4 months. They wanted to bandaid it and not warranty, I demanded reman with warranty they agreed to reman no warranty. I knew a service manager from another dealer who finally stepped in and went over their head to a regional rep of some kind. I got the truck back faster than they claimed they could get the tranny and it was a reman and it was with warranty. I also caught them lying about what location the truck was at and what state of disassembly it was in. I still regret not persuing those issues more but I figured that would be petty after I got a reman with 12/12 warranty for free and they paid the $450 tow bill.

Needless to say though after that I will not send an enemy to Plach Chevrolet in New London Wiscosin. They are crooked lying scumbags. The truck also had a deer hit they did not disclose, and it was fresh because I found hair and other evidence of the body work.

You might try talking to Katie if you bought the car from the dealer, GM does not want to have their name drug through the mud over dishonest dealers not having a little good faith.

#21 ·
It was bought from a dealer..No warranty BUT I complained to the sales guy.. I think they are just bs'ing me though.. When the "Service Tire Pressure" indicator/light went on I took it to a local tire shop right away. The tire shop ran their scanners and told me the right rear sensor was completely dead. I took it to the deal 3 days later and they're trying to tell me the air pressure was too high in the tires and to try and "drive it off" and see if the light goes off from driving.. They didnt know I went to the tire shop and found out the sensor was dead though

Chi_bears, even though you may be out of warranty I am always happy to explore next steps with you at any point in the process! For instance, I can check for any open recalls that may be on your Impala, contact your dealership to address any concerns you may have post-visit, etc. Direct message me for further assistance!

Best,

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service
I sent you a PM Katie. Thanks for the help
Take it back and tell them to fix all issues or they can have the car back... Do not be friendly with them and be firm. If they give you any hassle, talk to the GM and demand your money back.
I have a meeting set up for tuesday

#22 ·
I'm going back to the dealership on Tues to have it looked at

Does anyone have any advice on what exactly I should say or do?

One poster said to demand a fix or my money back, idk that sounds good and all but not realistic.. I signed a contract, if I go in there with an attitude they could just say F off BUT I don't wanna go in and just nod my head and say yes and nothing gets done

So those of you with more experience tell me what I should do when I go in on tuesday

#23 ·
Be firm. Tell them to fix the damn car, and when you do slide him this picture.

Kidding on the picture of course:lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.