Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
taking it to the mechanic on thursday. any ideas what is going on with my impala? it starts everytime, so im not confident on passlock problem.

no overheating, or anything mechanical. except when this was going on i had no a/c. but i started it a couple times at home and it eventually all came out fine.

any feedback is greatly appreciated. im thinking of getting rid of the car.:bang:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
dear god, i apologize for not knowing how to upload videos to the site. i gave it the college try.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
You copy the address url in the search bar at the very top of the screen and paste it in a reply. Don't use the share url under the videos.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
no problem

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I'd be willing to bet its a faulty ignition switch. Take care of it asap!! More damage will happen. A faulty ignition switch will eventually cause a passlock problem and car won't start. Failing ign switches can also send spike's of voltage and fry (expensive) components.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will defiantly start with the ignition. Ill take a look at the walk through here in the forum. Thanks again. :beer:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
If you are going to replace the ignition switch (electrical part) I would recommend replacing the lock cylinder as well as getting new keys made. The lock cylinder will need to be assembled by a locksmith or dealer. I recommend replacing the ignition switch and taking the new and old cylinder down to a locksmith.

You'd be surprised at how common this problem is. Most dealerships tell customers it's the BCM (body control module) when, in fact it's the switch/cylinder. But, a failing switch will cause spikes and take out the BCM. Dealer replaces the bcm and a few weeks later the faulty switch takes out the bcm again. Failing ignition switches can cause BIG problems/headaches.

Do you ever have any other light's come on besides the one's in the video? Any other electrical problems?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sometimes when I first start the car the green cruise light is on, the fan motor doesn't turn on and my HUD doesn't light up. Then after a few turns back and forth of the fan knob it all works out.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Sometimes when I first start the car the green cruise light is on, the fan motor doesn't turn on and my HUD doesn't light up. Then after a few turns back and forth of the fan knob it all works out.
Yup def an ignition switch :eek:k3:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet. Goin to have it changed on Thursday.

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
Fucking security systems in these things are shit mine did the same thing, it wasnt the lock cylinder.or ign.switch, it was the electrical pig tail behind it all. 17$ fix ;)

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
The whole electrical system in these cars suck...period

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Had my mechanic swap ignition switch, all problems are gone. Only cost me $175, compared to the dealerships $400 quote. Thanks for all the help and advice.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Would have cost even less if you did it yourself, thats an easy one.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
It wouldn't have been much cheaper to diy. The Dorman switch is $34 and Delco lock cylinder is $90-100. Not to mention paying about $20 to a locksmith for "keying" the cylinder. $175 is not bad at all but, did he replace the cylinder as well? It sounds like he just replaced the switch which, is a bad idea. Always replace the cylinder (has passlock sensor) as well!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah we just replaced the ignition switch. Not the the lock cylinders. Ur saying that will cause a passlock issue? As in the dreaded no start?

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
Yes although its not guaranteed. Worst comes to worst you swap that also. If u get the blinking security ligjtz leave the car off for ten minutes and it will restart no prob.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update.

Had my ignition switch replaced with a Dorman, blew out the key hole, and unhooked the battery for awhile.

Nothing fixed the problem. Still have all the same problems, and now also a clicking sound from the driver side door when I turn off the car and leave doors closed.

I'll be replacing the bcm within the next month, driving a 91 accord till then. :/ runs like a champ.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I would bring it a dealer to have it diagnosed. It could just need to be reprogrammed which, would have to be done with a new one anyways.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts