Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2003 impala 3.4l 163,000 miles. i just bought this car about a week ago and just checked the coolant and inside the radiator is a bunch of nasty brown crap. im guessing this is because of the dexcool antifreeze. the car isnt overheating but the temp gauge does go up when setting at a red light or a drive threw or setting in park, but goes back down when i start driving and the radiator has airflow to it. so im wondering if i should flush it real good and put regular green antifreeze in it or flush it and keep using dexcool. ive always herd bad things about dexcool and would really rather use regular antifreeze. but ill see what you guys have to say. thanks for any help!

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
flush and use what you feel is the best product, I have used both but I replace at a max of 3 years have not had any problems.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
When it gets like that, it's from contamination, whether it was stop leak, or the wrong antifreeze. Definitely get it flushed, what you put back in is your choice, but I would, and do stick with dexcool. Just do not use any additives with it, especially not any tablets they may try to convince you to use, they are the main cause of the sludge.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Agreed. Get a flush asap!! I would also recommend replacing the thermostat at minimum as it is likely sticking closed and causing the hot idle.

Many thing can cause this sludge you are seeing

1. Stop leak tablets
2. Other coolant's mixed with dexcool
3. Water mixed with dexcool
4. Dexcool has deteriorated (over 80k miles old)
5. At worst an LIM gasket failure (likely not your case)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im going to assume that the lady i bought it off of put water in it. or hasnt put anything in it. she didnt seem to know much about vehicles at all. she didnt even know what engine it had when i asked if it was a 3.4 or a 3.8. and im going to flush it real good one of these warmer days next week. supposed to snow tonight which sucks! and i i will also replace the thermostat. thanks for the help guys.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Mixing water with dexcool is fine FYI, it is meant to be mixed 50/50 like any other coolant.

Reactions: richardgriese

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ I am sorry I was not aware of this. But, distilled water should be used and not just plain old tap water.

·
Banned
667 Posts
3. Water mixed with dexcool
non 50/50 type.
This is the best since you get 50% more for free.

or pay a extra 12$ for 2 gallons of premixed 50/50

All you need is a 64 oz or two 32oz gatorade bottle (do not store coolant in them remove label and mark with a marker.)
and a empty 1 Gallon bottle of coolant. and mix from there. this will save about $12

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
non 50/50 type.
This is the best since you get 50% more for free.
Should be common sense :eek:k3: Who uses 50/50 unless, your mixing with full? :dunno:

·
Registered
114 Posts
^^ lol Yeah I don't think anyone does; you can just mix it yourself and keep a jug of pre-mixed solution with ya, you never know...

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Lol, I mix with hose water, always have. I keep an empty jug around, then when I get a new jug, I pour half of it into the empty one, and top both off with water, perfect 50/50 every time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I plan to replace the Coolant also on my car I recently purchased.

What I use in my Turbo Buick is RMI25 with distilled water. Been thinking of using that on this car.

Good stuff! Never had an issue with it! I even left in during the Winter months down here in Tx. Been down below freezing a few times and I have not had any issues. Although I normally do add anti-freeze during the Winter months but forgot to do it this year.

Just thought I throw that out there. Read up on it, good stuff!

Dannyo

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I wouldn't use tap water out of a "well" but, that's just me.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
I plan to replace the Coolant also on my car I recently purchased.

What I use in my Turbo Buick is RMI25 with distilled water. Been thinking of using that on this car.

Good stuff! Never had an issue with it! I even left in during the Winter months down here in Tx. Been down below freezing a few times and I have not had any issues. Although I normally do add anti-freeze during the Winter months but forgot to do it this year.

Just thought I throw that out there. Read up on it, good stuff!

Dannyo
Are you saying you do not run Any antifreeze in your car or Just did not have to add any?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Do not run Anti-Freeze.

I have been running it like that for about 5 years now. I will sometimes add anti-freeze during the winter months but haven't done that in the last two years.

Probably taking a big gamble, but as far RMI25 and water during the summer months, works great!

It cleans all the crap internally and keeps things lubed!.

Dannyo

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Wow, you sure wouldn't catch me doing that...

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
the RMI25 is suppose to act like antifreeze, but I agree with you King.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I thought it was an additive?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts