Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Can you take the thing apart and remove the screen? If having to punch it out I would be very careful not to hurt the sensor itself.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it off the car last night and it looks like that you could, yank, :icon_pale: it right out of there. I havent done this before, obviously, and wanted some advise before I go tearing azz into it. It looks press-fitted against the side of the housing of the MAS. I could get a flathead screwdriver in from the other side, and punch it out, but dont want to disturb the tiny precious elements next to it. Is it even worth messing with?

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I am not sure that you would actually gain anything by removing it. Maybe a pony or two and 1/4 pound of torque increase, again if even that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's probably better to just leave it alone and avoid any idle problems. As you start doing engine mods you'll probably want to upgrade to the larger F body MAF, although some people will disagree, it was a good mod for my set up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Maf

If I remember right the MAF you are talking about works by measuring the the airflow through the screen, but i can't remember how. I believe the screen is integral to the maf working, and if you tear it out, your car won't run right.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses
I found a f-body MAF on craigslist for 60 bucks about an hour from my house. I think Im going to go that route.

Again thanks for the info!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts