Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it the dealerships have a problem getting the oil level correct after an oil change? This is the 2nd time/ 2nd car that I got back and the oil is almost to the first twist in the dipstick after sitting overnight.

I would change my own but the CPO plan has free oil changes and tire rotations. I have not had time to bring it back to them and I hate driving it knowing it is overfilled. This really seems stupid considering this is ALL the lube techs at the dealership do, on GM motors!

I recently saw Ejbers just got his back overfull after his repairs, anyone else have this problem and how did you handle it?

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
figured id post it here.

i just drained a little oil out of the car while i was going over everything.

I didnt know that overfilling the oil was a problem with dealerships

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Beast50, I'm so sorry you are aggravated with your dealer experience! Let me know if you would like me to document your concerns further or follow up with your dealer at any point for you. Please feel free to send me a private message anytime!

Katie
Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I will do a full inspection of the car with the service adviser before the car is turned over to them and one more when the work is compleated before i turn the key.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Dealerships use hoses to fill your vehicle. They have a gauge at the top (generally digital) telling them the quantity that is being dispensed. These gauges need to be calibrated like anything else and are often ignored and a tech will "wing it".

Having too much oil is as detrimental as too little.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Thats why god gave us dipsticks...

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Mechanics at dealerships are paid by the job. An oil change is 0.3 hours. Which turns into approximately 18 minutes. They don't have the time to be waiting for the oil to settle and have to rely on their equipment. It might sound lazy but would you work for free just to second guess equipment that should work properly?

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
they aren't working for free they are working to do their job
their job is to fill the damn oil up to where its suppose to be at.
if they dont do that then they havent finished there job

·
Designated Driver
4,516 Posts
I disagree...

Work as a mechanic and tell me the same thing.
So, we should expect shitty service?
What if your child's teacher said that to you.
"Oh, I only get paid $______. That's $______ per child, so I SHOULD only have to spend ____________ amount of time with each one. If you don't like it then teach 'em yourself!"
How would you feel about that?

Or what about a stripper?
You pay her $50. for a private dance.
You spend 1.5 minutes walking to the area. & she dances for what's left of the song when you get there. (Let's be generous and say 2 minutes).
Then she say's "Thanks, would you like another one?"
You can't complain, because she only has to dance the song you paid for.

Get what I'm saying?
When you pay for a service; You should get 100% of what you payed for, @ the agreed upon price.

That is all.

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
I do work as a mechanic at the same company i operate for, granted its not full time but maybe 10 hours a week average depending on how much help the head mechanic needs and i work at my moms auto and tire shop when they need help.
but wtf does that have to do with anything.

If you pay someone to do something they should do it right not half ass it.
That is exactly what is wrong with this country.
even though you don't live in the usa

and guess where im gonna spend my money at the place that half asses there job or the place that does it right?

And guess what it takes alot longer for a mechanic to bring the car back in and drain some oil then have to fill it up some and get it perfect the second time around then it does for him to do it right in the first place on top of hopefully losing a customer cause he cant do what he gets paid to do.

·
Banned
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This just aggrevates me because I went and had the oil changed on a Saturday morning so I could go out of town. So now I have almost 400 miles on the oil change thats overfull.

I usually do all my own work but I thought it would be nice to have some of these perks with a new car. Turns out to be more hassle and haggling than if I had bought something older with no warranty. The dealership suddenly gets amnesia when I hold them to their promises when I bought the car.

I had to go in there twice to have them enter my CPO information because they tried to deny I purchased my car Certified. I have two spots on my roof that are starting to bubble, I have the Simoniz treatment and they tried to tell me the two spots, close together are rock chips and they arent covered. They tried to make me pay for my two oil changes since I have owned the car because they either could not find my CPO agreement in their computer or trying to make me take the fall because someone forgot to enter it in their computer properly.

I am going to check the oil this morning and if its still overfull and hasnt been forced to be burned or squeezed out in the last 400 miles , I guess I get to waste my own time trying to make them fix something that should have been done right in the first place.

·
Banned
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so its the dealership not keeping their equipment up to snuff? Either way, my receipt says they fillef with 4 qts Dexos.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
My only point about the dipstick was, we KNOW the dealer does a half assed job, so make sure its right before you leave.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts