Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people use hot air guns to heat up the glue behind the badge and then use fishing string to remove the badge. What do you guys think about using a HOT Pressure washer unit. Low pressure and high heat. I have access to one and i'm not to comfortable with using a heat gun. I was thinking steam would be a better/safer way to remove the badges. Any suggestions/comments/concerns would be greatly appreciated it. Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I did it whit a string sawing the 3m tape and then take of the glue with bug and tar remover hot pressure washer or the heat gun may damage the paint or the molding if you do it wrong

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i just went outside and used sewing thread and took off the two GM badges off the front and it looks great. next is the IMPALA on the trunk and the bowtie, the bowtie is held on just by glue right? i'm not going to uncover a hole am i?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Craft steel wire and windex is the safest and easiest way I believe

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
I waited til summer a couple years ago, got dental floss and googone and popped them off. :eek:k3:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i did the trinkits last night and went out this morning to take off the bow tie but i believe its just to cold out, i'm going to wait till we have a day thats above freezing before i do the trunk....does dental floss not break as easy as sewing thread and fishing line? i would think it would break easier..

·
Super Moderator
22,815 Posts
Dental floss breaks very easily, but it's what I had handy and I prefer those toothpick thingies with the floss in them for my teeth. lol

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
You must be careful when using Goo-gone! It can leave a white residue/stain on plastic. It did on my tail-light section but, luckily I was painting them anyways.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ Hmm that's weird I used goo-gone also but, I did use some windex too. Maybe the mixture did that. Either way I stay away from goo-gone now. Windex is much safer on the paint as goo-gone will take some paint off if you rub too hard.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I took the bowtie badge off my trunk lid yesterday..

used fishing line to saw it off and took my heat gun and heated up the glue as I rubbed it off with my fingers and then took some goo-gone on a rag and cleaned up all the residual stuff..

cant tell it was even there :eek:k3:

·
Go Get It
15,065 Posts
Goo-Gone CAN be very damaging to plastics and clearcoats. However, it is usually not something that a good buffing wouldn't take care of.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts