Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,

i have a 94 ss and am having the same problems as mr96ss with the speedo fading... the qalo's handbook didnt do shit for me, must be i missed something but if i could get some help that would be sweet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Speedometer's In The Mid 91-96 Caprice's And The 94 And 95 Impala Ss, Is Notorious For Fading And Even Reading The Wrong Miles, Or Even The Mph Just Go Out... Pretty Much The Only Way To Get It Fixed It To Either Get A New One And Hope It Works...

But There Is A Guy On Ebay That Charges 150 For Him To Reprogram It, And Clean The Connections... Go On Ebay And Search For Caprice Dash Cluster Or Caprice Speedometer...

·
Registered
1 Posts
fade-out cheap fix!

I have a 1996 Impala ss I bought brand new, between 2000 and 2005 my cluster faded and went out all together. Don't know if it's still can be found via the computer, but there is an awesome step by step (pictured) cheap quick fix.......I did it once now I have to do it again I have to find my step by step paperwork. The problem is the solder cracks on the back side of the cluster gauge. After some years of heating and cooling the solder cracks and connection is lost, that's why the fade and then fade-out. All you need is to re-solder over the old solder, I know this because I've done it once already. It took about two hours all together, I'll try and find the website and post it for the "Impala SS" people.

G-MAG

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
If it was done once and it has to be done AGAIN, it was not done right. The fading is not just contacts breaking, lots happens the the circuit boards and also to the gauges. I send them out to a place out here, they go over every electronic piece on the cluster and REPLACE whatever is not right or whatever is showing wear. They make it better than new and even put on a NEW clear bezel on it which def. makes it look new. Turn around time is 3 days from the time they get it from me and comes with warranty.

I suggest you find someone like them to fix yours because if you just replace it with a used working one, the mileage will be off and it probably will have same issues shortly after.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you have a digital speedometer and it's starting to fade, then all you have to do it buy some rubbing alcohol, some Q-tips, a new flux brush (optional), jewelers screw driver, and a clean lint-free rag.

Your going to have to remove all plastic wear to get to your digital dash, unhook the nylon string for you shift indicator, take out the digital LSD, turn it over and wipe of the dust off, start clean all the soldered contact with flux brush or Q-tip until your satisfied you covered everything. Do the same for the contact springs. Take the jewelers srewdriver and lighlty push them forward to regain a liitle more tension in them (You gotta have a steady hand for this and don't get distracted when your attempting this). Let it air dry a couple minutes, put the key in iginition and see her light up.

The first time I did this, I only put alcohol on all the contacts and it fixed it for a couple of years. The second time clean the contacts and pulled back the springs a bit, and I haven't had a problem since.

Check out the link. This comes with pics and instructions.
http://www.9c1.com/technical/cluster/fix.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts