Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disappointment today-

I guess all parties to this (including Me) should've looked at the TSB for the AFM Oil-Consumption more thoroughly....

>>> We all should'a noticed it was only for V8's with AFM !!! <<<

Dammit.

My '08 LTZ has the 3.9L V6 with AFM (LZG version per build-specs).
* Just completed an oil-consumption test as I've mentioned previously.
* It burned 1.5 qts in 3,400 miles....JUST A HAIR outside the requirement-equivalent of 1qt over 2,000 miles.
* A District rep had approved doing the work, and was reminded it was a "SIX"...NOT an SS. They too assumed the Sixes with AFM would be covered.
* BUT..........when the dealer double-checked with GM's TAC today, they said the TSB was only for AFM-equipped V8's.....arrrrggghhh.
* What REALLY burns me is that if I had the V8-AFM, the work would've been done.....BUT, since it's a V6-AFM....I'm apparently SOL.
* The AFM-6's & the AFM-8's use oil the same way (slightly in excess!), but with 2 less cylinders when AFM is active.
* Supposedly, there's no new/revised Baffle-equipped Oil-pan-gasket for the 3.9's....??
* The car only has 29,900 (2008) miles as of today!!!
* My 5yr/100k powertrain warranty is done this month too....

Thanks for listening to my ranting!!
Any ideas out there?!!?

Faron

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
Don't know how to help you, but thank you for bringing this to my attention. My baby burns oil like a bitch. About a quart per thousand miles. She's such a slut

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wally-
Your V8 may be eligible....IF yours has the AFM-feature!
(mine is the 3.9 V6 LTZ)
You'll also have to enroll in a 2,000 mi. oil-consumption test, & have your dealer check the oil every 500 miles.

Anyway...the TSB# is "11-06-01-007: Engine Oil consumption with Active-Fuel-Management (AFM). Install oil-pan gasket & clean carbon from cylinder. Nov. 22, 2011"
* It does also list other car models with the RPO LS4 V8 engine.
* Ask any GM dealer to print it out.
* Again....myself, the dealer, & their District-rep. thought this applied to AFM-SIXES too...like mine!!!

SO FAR....I may be SOL.
I'm pursuing things further with Chevy cust.-svc., & Chevy-TAC, for AT LEAST the top-engine (in cylinder) cleaner part of the fix.

Faron

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
I just did an oil change on my neighbours 06 Impala LTZ just Monday and he had over 5K miles between changes and it has not used a quart of oil in that time. His vehicle has over 110K miles on the odometer. His only issue had been the gasket on the oil filter adaptor to engine block had gone bad which I fixed last summer.

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kinda engine was in that '06?
AFM equipped then?

Faron

·
SStuntin on em
4,851 Posts
Well on mine they call it DOD displacement on demand as opposed to active fuel management. Will that matter?

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmmm....sorry, I don't know that answer.
You'll most likely have to have your dealer check on that!

Faron

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It's the same thing Wally, just terminology. And ej, uncle Jerry said dirty girl, not bobby light.

Reactions: Ejbiers

·
Papa SSmirf
1,046 Posts
@ WallyLO: I believe these LS4 equipped cars have both the DOD & the AFM.

@ kingnutin: they are the same thing??? I know the DOD is basically what makes the motor go between 4 and 8 cylinder modes, so this is also considered the AFM too???

And this would also explain why the oil pan gasket was replaced in mine just before I bought it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just did an oil change on my neighbours 06 Impala LTZ just Monday and he had over 5K miles between changes and it has not used a quart of oil in that time. His vehicle has over 110K miles on the odometer. His only issue had been the gasket on the oil filter adaptor to engine block had gone bad which I fixed last summer.

Was the gasket change hard on the filter housing? Was the gasket a dealer item, or available locally?

Sorry to steal the thread.

Both my 3,9 engines do not use oil. The 06 is 6 cylinders all the time, the 08 is a deactivate model.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Was the gasket change hard on the filter housing? Was the gasket a dealer item, or available locally?

Sorry to steal the thread.

Both my 3,9 engines do not use oil. The 06 is 6 cylinders all the time, the 08 is a deactivate model.
Not too bad. Do have to jack up the car and I bent a cheap wrench to get to one of the bolts. Others have unbolted the ac compressor to get to that one bolt.

Gasket was a dealer item.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not too bad. Do have to jack up the car and I bent a cheap wrench to get to one of the bolts. Others have unbolted the ac compressor to get to that one bolt.

Gasket was a dealer item.
Thanks, the 06 is leaking a few drops.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Yes, AFM and DOD are the same, I think other manufacturers may even have other names for it.

I always move the AC compressor to change that gasket, it only takes a few minutes to move.

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Just to jump in here.
I have an 06 LTZ 3.9 and the only time it used oil was when I used Pennzoil Platinium.
I/we did a roadsie in October of 2011 from here to AZ and back.
6000 kms in total in 2 weeks.
Had Castrol Syntec in it for the trip.
Temps in the 40's to mid 90's. City touring, highway, mountains, desert etc.
When I went out to change it when I got back it was just below the full mark, by about 1/16th of an inch.
I do the oil every 5000 Km ( 3000 miles) with Syntec and it has not used any. No DOD or AFM or whatever on the 06 3.9's.
I was a bit annoyed that the 07's had it and was thinking that I should have waited for one of those but in hindsight glad I did not.
It does not like Pennzoil Platinum for some reason and used near 1/2 L in 5000k.
It has not had dinosaur oil in it for 5 years now.
Always synthetic ( Mobil or Castrol ) and always a Wix filter, but I did buy a Baldwin recently to try.
FWIW
P

·
Four-Seasons Fan!
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kind of a last-ditch effort this past Thursday....

Wrote a letter to the Fargo area Chev. District Warranty Admin., stating my case to have Chevrolet cover the top-engine cleaning treatment on my 2008 3.9 LTZ (LZG V6).
They do this, as well as the revised/baffled pan-gasket on the AFM V-8's, so I thought I was fair in asking for the piston-cleaning procedure on mine.

>>> If I had the V8, they'd be doing the fix for me....:bang::bang: !!

Since we bought the car in Aug. 2011, with 17,500 miles, I've been using Mobil-1. Today it's now 30,100!
......aaaaannd burning 1.5 qts. in 3400 miles :cool:.

Hopefully my letter will generate some help!!!

I just wish there was a baffled pan-gasket for the 3.9's....:gaah:.

Faron

·
Super Moderator
10,950 Posts
Try switching to dinosaur oil and see if that don't help.
I had a 3.1 in a sunbird that consumed synthetic but not dino oil.
or
perhaps you have already tried this.
Just a thought
P

1 - 20 of 33 Posts