Impala Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got the impala back running 1994 SS.. tried a WOT run and at 101 mph it just cuts out like there is a limiter on it..no matter if its WOT or if its just cruising over 101 it cuts out like there is a speed limiter. i have seen the speed limiter is set to 156 so i dont no what is goin on......any ideas????? i think it has to be computer related

·
Registered
184 Posts
Sounds like it's not shifting into 4th...

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
Like I said on the other board, what exactly is done to the car.

Stock gears, stock tuning 3-4 should not happen till something like 117mph.

There are rev limiters independant of mph.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
everythings stock except k&n intake.... if i go like 1/4 throttle and it will shift into 4th at like 70 and i slowly speed up to 101 it will do the same thing, like it cuts fuel and just slows down. i can rev to 5400 rpm or what ever it shifts at in all my gears until i get to 101 at WOT. it doesnt happen during a shift or at a shift its at 101 mph.....

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was just referring to the limiter as in i had a 04 grand prix with the 3800 and it would cut off at 110mph and i am getting the same feeling with the SS when i hit 101

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow. 156mph really. I got a 94 SS too and the fastest ive gone is 135mph didnt wanna try to go faster than that on the freeway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got the limiter set to 212 mph.

Fastest I've gone is 142.... lol

I'm going to take a really crappy stab at it but is it possible your TC is not going into lock up or anything :confused:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Are you sure it's the original PCM?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok let me explain my situation a lil bit better . . hits a limiter at 101mph whether im part throttle or wide open..yes i do have TC lockup..in the fall i had a 3 angle valve grind done to my heads (they are stock heads) and it sat with the battery unplugged till about the begining of march..i have been over 101mph before in this car many times ..and it started doing this when i got the motor put back together in march.. idk if the car sitting there that long could have messed up the PCM or somthing..there are no codes showing...but i dont think its anything mechanical because its everytime at exactly 101mph..is there a pcm re learn process?? can the dealer reflash the pcm?

·
Registered
140 Posts
EDIT: I dunno.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
took the impala to the dealer re-programmed the computer and runs like a champ

·
Super Moderator
3,943 Posts
The pcm wont "lose" programming due to lack of battery power so the computer must have been reprogrammed or not original.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah they told me the vin's didnt match so im guessing who ever replaced the pcm never got it reprogrammed ..but it runs great now and it has so much more power

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
MORE POWER!!!! THATS WHAT WE LIKE TO HEAR:eek::biggrin:

·
Registered
46 Posts
All stock civie tunes shut the car down at 108mph. Period. SEO or 9C1 tunes shut down at 130mph for small base tires, 147 optional bigger tires. Period
Impala SS shuts down at 154mph. Period. So if you have a unkown pcm in your car, How did it get there? Where is yours from the SS? You said it used to go faster. This means someone swapped out pcms. And if it is shutting down at 101, this means the gears in the rearend, or the tires are not correct. Technicaly the car was still shutting down at 108mph. Just the speedo showed 101 because no tune for whatever has been changed.

Original pcm was probably tuned 3:08 gears with stock ss tune gears, someone swapped pcms, and gave you a stock caprice or whatever with 108 shutoff and 256 or so rear gears.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the thing i dont get is i had that car over 101 or 108 which ever it was shutting off at numerous times before i tooks the heads off over the winter..after i got it put back together it started doing that(shutting off at 101/108) but it sat in my garage while the heads were being worked on and i was the only one to touch it...thats why i dont get why it all of a sudden got set to 101/108 because i was the only one to work on the car

1 - 17 of 17 Posts